China's new millionaires on a breast-milk binge

When David Hannum coined the phrase “there’s a sucker born every minute”, I don’t think this is what he had in mind. China really does surreal very well.

Incidentally, I remember that there was a breast milk ice cream that was released in the UK but it was halted for government health reasons (no surprise there).

1 Like

Why would they spend money on breast milk when they can drink the tears of poor people?

There’s never a shortage.

1 Like

My scientific skeptic point of view is noting that only 5% of Chinese adults can tolerate lactose.

1 Like

Interestingly, Native Americans (deep ancestry DNA: East Asia) are the ones who are 95-99% lactose-intolerant, whereas Chinese adults are slightly less intolerant. Makes me think it would possible to isolate the gene(s) responsible.

It’s paywalled, naturally; but that has apparently been done. The interest in genetic testing for a condition that usually makes itself known isn’t huge, and the safety of genetic engineering would have to be a lot better before it outstripped the alternatives; but when the bold eugenic future arrives, we’ll be ready.

1 Like

I know the one SNP they’ve found so far: rs4988235. I’m GG, which is “likely intolerant” (I am). But there seem to be other, yet-unknown gene markers as well, because there are, for example, African populations with GG who are nonetheless lactose tolerant in adulthood.

My understanding is there are some African populations that developed the trait independently of the most common lactose tolerance mutation that came out of Northern Europe. It’s a case of convergent evolution and I’m not surprised that different mutations might be responsible.

1 Like

That’s the problem, right there. Why bother drinking something that people poorer than you could afford? If they were limited-edition tears, from the dwindling remnants of a dying ethnic group, it’d be worth considering; but mere prole-tears are so… vulgar.

I wonder if this is related to the fact that Puyi, the last Chinese emperor, had a wet nurse until he was eight?

Been watching Bertolucci?

Silly as it is (if true) this is a hell of a lot better than the killing of rhinos to make dick-powder.

Milky milky!

1 Like

Closer?

Classic!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.