Clever student uses red/blue masking to double exam cribsheet

[Permalink]

Can’t remember DNA base pairs? There are only two of them!

Can’t spell “proteins,” “occurs,” “refer.”

Why is it sloppily handwritten instead of color printed?

D-

5 Likes

Clever…too clever, I’d say. The teacher could have prohibited the gels.

3 Likes

Student could have inserted the gels into reading glasses. Can’t prohibit those.

11 Likes

These are tricks used by the teacher to get students to study the material. Typewritten notes are probably disallowed, and this student probably learned twice as much.

13 Likes

yeah. it’s usually a whitelist of allowed items, not a blacklist of prohibited items.

1 Like

A really fun way to cheat could be a polarizing ink. There are pigments (dyes?) that selectively reflect one polarization of light and can be seen with glasses with polarization filters. Quite uncommon, but used in security industry as e.g. invisible-with-unaided-eye anticounterfeiting markers.

See a vendor e.g. here: http://www.smarol.com/Polarized-Ink.html
Or a fairly overpriced vendor of spy toys here: http://www.advanced-intelligence.com/invisibleinkglasses.html
Or a video demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIj8e6oojw

1 Like

Profcyclist? Really? I had to look this up, and got 3 top results from reddit! for Christ’s sake. WTF is it?

1 Like

I used to write these very dense crib sheets and end up with half the page blank, heh.

1 Like

Profcyclist is a reddit user. He/she is the one whose student brought in the red/blue card.

I know what a reddit user is, but what is a red/blue card?

There was one calculus test for which I found myself less than well-prepared, so I took an X-Acto knife and carefully etched a few key formulae into my thumbnails. One lick and they were virtually invisible unless you let the light reflect off them just so. Worked a treat.

9 Likes

This is so clever, and it’s not even cheating. But yea, it’s too bad he or she couldn’t just, yknow, study.

3 Likes

I prepared a number of crib (um, “cheat”) cards for a set of exams at high school. But it turns out that

• carefully selecting the bits I knew I didn’t know,
  • and then distilling that into microscopic summaries
    left me as well (if not better) prepared as conventional cramming.

I think I only ended up bothering to use it for a few dates in History or page/verse numbers in English, as I still can’t be bothered memorising raw facts like those.

8 Likes

I cheated through 7th grade math homework with my best friend. They were workbooks that had our daily problems in and our teacher let us correct someone else’s homework during class. I guess she was lazy, but I remember her kindly.

The first time my friend gave me 100% and I gave him like 86%. He complained to me and I told him to wise up; we give each other high C’s low to mid B’s and we will never be suspected.

He did like I said, and we passed, well, unsuspected.

3 Likes

In the real world, there is ample access to enough information to drown in. Having to memorize crap is not exactly preparing for the future. Being able to analyze the problem, quickly locate (or perhaps even remeber, if it is your cup of tea) the needed info and then use it correctly is a better way.

I cheated Literature and History in a rather heavy way, because I never saw the value in remembering crap that nobody remembers later anyway, and spend the saved time on chemistry, physics, and general hard sci/tech instead. I never regretted that decision since.

9 Likes

Spider Jerusalem want’s his glasses back.

5 Likes

7 Likes

I am afraid I am not getting the reference. Anybody care to explain, please?

Because the preparation of said cards would have no studious benefit…

2 Likes