CNN's "doomsday video"

[Permalink]

I think Boing Boing should have a Final Post ready to go. Perhaps automatically timed to post two days after an editor fails to press a dead man switch type button.

Of course, no matter how innocuous, someone will find the post objectionable and pine for the days when Boing Boing was a repository of wonderful things.

10 Likes

Personally I would have gone with this one.

17 Likes

Personally, I would have gone with this one, to quietly and blissfully hail the eventual reign of the postapocalyptic flora,

but to each their own.

2 Likes

Showing my age here, but Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s “The Last Voice”

Zombies are played out. The trendy doomsday scenario these days involves knives and clubs.

5 Likes

Please, please, please, don’t let me die while watching network news.

13 Likes

What’s the matter with a coke bottle and a telegraph key?

3 Likes

From Gremlins 2:

Because of the end of civilization, the Clamp Cable Network now leaves the air. We hope you’ve enjoyed our programming, but more importantly, we hope you’ve enjoyed… life.

I like to think the writers really didn’t know about CNN’s video, but just thought such a thing was so crazy it might really exist.

5 Likes

they must have known… they both played “Nearer My God To Thee”.

4 Likes

Just remember, last one to go has to turn all the lights off.

“This was CNN.”

7 Likes

This being Boing Boing, perhaps the apocalypse should be followed by a Unicorn Chaser.

4 Likes

this
is
awesome
\(^ ^)/

sounds like the old Horkheimer music. “Keep looking up!”

1 Like

And here I thought this was the required broadcast:
This is an Emergency Action Notification. This station has
interrupted its regular programming at the request of the
White House to participate in the Emergency Alert System.
During this emergency, most stations will remain on the air
providing news and information to the public in assigned
areas.
This is (station call name). We will be discontinuing
programming. You should now tune to stations providing
news and information for your Local Area.
This station will be discontinuing programming.
Do not use your telephone. The telephone lines should be
kept open for emergency use.

EAS/EBS is such a fascinating subject. Under today’s rules, if EAS were activated, CNN would stay on the air.

That said, I wonder if it would actually be used at all. On September 11 they didn’t activate the system because television news was already providing saturation coverage. There were multiple viewpoints and hundreds of reporters covering the story, which would have stopped and been replaced by one voice from D.C. I think, barring an absolute surprise attack in the middle of the night, that the emergency would be all over the news already and EAS activation would be redundant.

Funny, I always thought their last transmission would be more like the shutdown of the Fatline system in Dan Simmons’ Fall of Hyperion:

“THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER MISUSE OF THIS CHANNEL. YOU ARE DISTURBING OTHERS WHO ARE USING IT TO SERIOUS PURPOSE. ACCESS WILL BE RESTORED WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS FOR. GOODBYE.”

4 Likes

I wonder if they would ever interrupt programming on a news channel in this day and age. Broadcast news in this day and age is a valuable addition to the government’s intelligence gathering. Switching from many incoming voices to a single outgoing voice is probably not very desirable.

I think Boing Boing should have a Final Post ready to go. Perhaps automatically timed to post two days after an editor fails to press a dead man switch type button

In the good ole days of the aughts, we would call that “December” around this corner of the Internet.

1 Like

?

1 Like