Cop gives parking ticket to man installing no parking sign

Union labor. Or government worker.

2 Likes

Just so I’m clear, the city employed a person to install signs and then another city employee fines the first man for doing what the city was paying him to do. A third city employee acting as arbitrator decided that the first man was in the wrong for doing what the city employed him to do and the second city employee was correct in giving him that ticket.

Santa Barbara has too much money to play with. They need to lower their local taxes because it’s quite clear they are not spending the public’s money wisely.

5 Likes

A Santa Barbara cop once wrote me a parking ticket … for a different car. It was for a black car (mine is green), and one digit was wrong on the plate number. So maybe he meant it for mine after all but was color blind and dyslexic? Or he was standing between two cars and got confused which one he was ticketing?

In other news, having lived there for several years, I am amazed there’s a block anywhere in town that doesn’t have those 75 minute signs already.

2 Likes

This is beautiful. The cop had probably just read all about Protagoras, Gorgias end even Principia Mathematica.

If the ticket didn’t have your correct licence plate, then your car wasn’t ticketed. just because it was on your windshield doesn’t make it yours. If the officer incorrectly entered the plate number, then the ticket was issued to the plate number he wrote.

1 Like

better to waste it on entertainment like this than on weapons!

1 Like

While I don’t know of any relevant grammatical rule, I would have edited that sentence to both exclude the contraction and provide an object… “He is appealing the ruling”.

I see the original joke as aping the English teacher’s marginalia, in which the prof lightly gibes the frosh in red pen.

It was a light and apt jibe. So says the peanut-gallery!

Solution: Bill it to the city with a $25 handling fee. I mean, it’s no fun unless a fourth city department can be involved.

2 Likes

Exactly right! I am a constant (and proud) habitue of such arenas.

Continuing the digression, we appear to disagree on the proper usage of gibe (or jibe). Seems like just recently in the comments there was a disagreement about which letter (g or j) started the word that meant: ‘to be in agreement with’ (as opposed to how we are using it to mean a gentle ribbing). I could have sworn you were using it correctly and I was not, but the online dictionaries indicated that I should also heckle you with peanuts. Chicago Style Manual was unavailable for free.

Edited a couple of times for typos and clarity

Ha ha! You think there are actual logical rules to English? You’re in for a bit of a rough spat.

English to me seems to be one of those “don’t overthink it, and just go with the flow” sorts of languages as far as rules.

What about this one in TelAviv where workers painted the disabled spot around an already parked car

In college, a friend in our group was getting out of line, so, one night the rest of us rounded up parking tickets from all over campus and put them all on his car. He awoke to about 15 tickets scattered around in his wipers and jammed into the rubber around the windows.

Why not save a step and build an impound lot around the car instead?

2 Likes

I was using it to mean sudden turn, the nautical sense. It was an apt turn of phrase, because he fought the ticket, and continues to fight, which is an attractive quality.

Still, best seats are the cheap seats. Thanks for the peanuts!

I agree. With English, the most important part of the text is the context.

Rules? Yes. Logical? No. But that’s true for any natural language. If their werent no rules, thus sentence would appear like correct in any readers ice.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.