Cop shoots, kills labrador inside "suspicious" vehicle

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Man. Gun. Must. Kill.

1 Like

The officer is reportedly “distraught.”

I hope his distress is amplified by the realization the dog could only maybe get out of that window to save its life, as in, if the van was on fire and that was the only way out.

Cop + gun + dog = dead dog.

4 Likes

This is a new level of police lameness.

That cop must have the heart of an awl.

1 Like

Sadly, not new at all…

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/04/30/news/state/maine-man-fighting-back-after-police-allegedly-shot-killed-his-dog-in-louisiana/

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/05/3307997/dog-on-leash-shot-and-killed-by.html

EDIT: Also, kittens are good for target practice, apparently.

2 Likes

You need to be careful with dogs.

4 Likes

I just do not get how many cops are so quick to pull a gun on a dog.

1 Like

Obviously the cop felt like this was a life threatenig situation, and Im guessing the cop snuck up on the van and startled the dog.

If the situation seemed so potentially dangerous, why is there just one cop investigating?

1 Like

“with the idea that every non-routine public interaction is a life or death tactical scenario”

I can see why… more than a dozen cops are killed every month. Then there are cultures like “cop killers” and the anti authority bunches that like to promote violence towards cops. For some jobs, making a mistake can be undone with a couple of key strokes, but make a mistake as a cop and suddenly mom or dad doesn’t come home to the family.

Not making excuses, just some thoughts.There is a real possibility that the cop really does feel horrible and would love to be able to undo what just happened. To have a more constructive discussion about these problems, maybe we need embrace remorse instead of insta-anger.

Deaths whilst on duty in law enforcement don’t come close to the likes of the construction industry, far more dangerous jobs out there than being a police man, even in the USA.

12 Likes

There was a very detailed analysis of the cause of fatal accidents to police in another recent thread. I’ll track it down and post a link to it as an edit.

But the upshot of that analysis is that about one-third of police fatalities appear to be caused by interactions with “violators.”

The remaining two thirds are presumably a consequence of having a job that involves many, many hours in a moving motor vehicle. This is why being a truck driver is statistically more likely to get you killed than being a cop.

The data suggests that a taxi driver is more likely to be shot on the job than is a police officer.

EDIT: Here’s that link.

12 Likes

Cop deaths don’t come close to deaths from cops while being brown.

5 Likes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/08/22/americas-10-deadliest-jobs-2/

The 10 Deadliest Jobs:

1. Logging workers
  2. Fishers and related fishing workers
  3. Aircraft pilot and flight engineers
  4. Roofers
  5. Structural iron and steel workers
  6. Refuse and recyclable material collectors
  7. Electrical power-line installers and repairers
  8. Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers
  9. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
  10. Construction laborers
11 Likes

Your claim is bogus. According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 100 cops died last year. And a good percentage of those were from traffic accidents, not being gunned down. And even among those gunned down, many of those were shot accidentally by other cops. So I’m not even sure how many of those 100 could be said to have been “killed” as in “killed by a bad guy”.

Meanwhile, every 28 hours a black person in the US is killed by law enforcement or security forces.

Being a cop is a relatively safe job. There are very many more dangerous ones, including construction work, truck driving, garbage collecting, roofing, electrical worker, and aircraft piloting.

Your argument reflects a common belief that police are an embattled and vulnerable population, constantly threatened by danger and persecution. Statistics don’t show that reality, but the belief persists because it is politically necessary in order to justify the outrageous use of force that cops routinely employ.

The purpose of police violence is not to keep cops safe. It is to make it easier for cops to do their job, which is to maintain control over society.

21 Likes

I “love” when people try to rationalize shitty situations by making shit up that they have absolutely no proof for in an attempt to defend asshole behavior. By “love” I mean: Don’t fucking do that.

7 Likes

In this report, the FBI says that 48 officers were killed feloniously in 2012.

That report also puts the ratio of accidental death at about half, rather than the one-third I declared above, so I’m owning that difference here.

5 Likes

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

But cop killers are still a reality and that has to be more difficult to rationalize than a construction worker that knows his end is likely going to be his own fault.

If I was walkin up to the van, I assume i would at least have my hand on the gun and ready. On the other hand, I’m very thankful an innocent person didn’t accidently get killed in this scenario.

Just having a discussion, that’s how we learn from each other. No reason to get upset.

Shoot first, ask questions later?

Why the assumption that guns are going to be required?

7 Likes