Cossacks horsewhip Pussy Riot at Sochi

The things is that there is not much continuity between either the military units or the ethnic groups and the modern-day Cossacks. They are a popular movement that is all about being right-wing and badass and protecting the homeland. They are officially recognized as kind of paramilitary volunteer organization and can be assigned official missions. In some ways they are living the dream of certain parts of the American militia subculture.

Is it sad that I assumed this would be more brutal?

I think its cause I’m from America. Or maybe its cause they weren’t cops… just random street things… or maybe its both.

Consider, what you saw happen with the Pussy Riot video of this article is what happened with -absolutely everyone- watching, from -everywhere-. As well, everyone involved knew they were being watched, recorded etc.

It doesn’t do to contrast it with what US cops are willing to do when they think no one but other cops are watching.

1 Like

Does it bother anyone else that the three women just walked away (Maria, Nadya, and the other chick) at the end and the guy performing with them, along with some of the photogs seemed like they were detained? Were the women detained after they walked off?

this whole thing is just weird, and feels staged somehow—not that they weren’t really getting beaten, because the guy with them was bloody at the end there. But there is something else happening that we’re not aware of maybe?

Doesn’t surprise me, those who assist the main protagonists/antagonists often get singled out for extra ill-treatment. Now add machismo. Not much chance that the fella was going to come away as unharmed even if he was as non-violent in his resistance. One wrong word or movement, or no wrong words or movement, it hardly matters.

1 Like

I think it may have been the fact these weren’t professional cops… but citizens empowered to legally use violence. They aren’t organized or even clear on what the others are doing, from what I can tell.

It’s alchemy: Bigoted, dim-witted Russian cop snorts crystal meth, boom! Instant cossack.

That sounds like a pretty plausible explanation.

This doesn’t look completely staged.

Cossacks are actually an ethnic group, often mistaken for Kazakhs, but they are actually Slavic as opposed to the Turkic Kazakhs.

That describes the historical Czarist Cossacks pretty well, actually.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.