Costco apologizes for Bibles labeled "fiction"

[Permalink]

1 Like

I imagine he probably wouldn’t be happy with “Just a theory” either.

25 Likes

Why apologize for accuracy?

25 Likes

[some joke about how it’s a fact that it’s fiction]

audience: lololololol

4 Likes

Because Reason.

9 Likes

“Half the people in the world think that the metaphors of their religious traditions, for example, are facts. And the other half contends that they are not facts at all. As a result we have people who consider themselves believers because they accept metaphors as facts, and we have others who classify themselves as atheists because they think religious metaphors are lies.”
― Joseph Campbell

10 Likes

Who in the hell is buying bibles at Costco? Doesn’t everyone know you can get them for free from motels?

15 Likes

I wonder if Hubbard’s “Dianetics” would receive the same apology, or any other book regarded as Truth by its adherents and dismissed as fiction by others?

14 Likes

I guess “Biography” could have been OK for the New Testament portion. But Old Testament? Yeah, that’s “Historical Fiction” at best.

Fiction is prose describing events specifically and explicitly invented, made-up. The proper classification should be under “myth” and/or “folklore”.

9 Likes

Too vague.
It’s clearly historical fiction.

4 Likes

Truth hurts?

Now that I got that bit of trolling out the way, what should it be called? Religion?

1 Like

Just file 'em all under “religious literature”. Preferably mixed together with books from as broad a spectrum of other religions as possible.

“whoops, how did this book on the FSM end up next to the bible? It’s so tough to keep these things alphabetized…”

6 Likes

People who suddenly decide to get rid of their bumps?

1 Like

Of course it’s fiction, what else could it be.

1 Like

Wasn’t the bible written by those ‘fine’ folks at fox news? If so then it is ‘fiction’.

Persuasive faction.

2 Likes

so much would be clarified if everyone had a handle on the difference between subjective facts and objective facts. I think the vast majority of human conflict starts when someone’s ego steps in to promote a subjective fact beyond it’s station.

4 Likes

Of course it’s fiction, what else could it be.

political theory?

1 Like

I believe that metaphors may offer truth, in the larger sense of life experience and its consistencies, but metaphors themselves are not necessarily facts.

3 Likes