Count to ten thousand! (Part 1)

The Blue Mountains are part of the Great Dividing Range, a mild drive to the west of Sydney. A pretty day trip in you want to escape the city.
The hope was to get over that range and discover some great fertile farmland… Go West, as they did in the US. But over the hills, it got drier and eventually turns to desert.

And so, we’ve remained a country of 23 million, instead of 318 million.

3 Likes

We are a part of the Rhythm Nation, apparently.

5 Likes

1815…

And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

1 Like

“Kill it dad! Kill it!

3 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

one for @chgoliz

In 1819 William Smith discovered the South Shetland Islands by accident (he set a course too far to the south). No one believed him and he wasn’t able to find the islands again - it took him a second try to replot his (drunken?) course.

2 Likes

The Brandenburger Tor in Berlin by Friedrich August Calau around 1820

I stretched the game rules to share a small piece of historical anecdote: The Prussian King requested a representative gate. The architect, at the height of neoclassicism, sought inspiration in Greek architecture.

He designed the Branderburger Tor after what he believed was a city gate of Athens.

Not exactly. The city gate is a nice reproduction of the entrance of Athens’ temple area, widely known as Acropolis.

eta: I wrote Athen instead of Athens. It is not needed to PM me such mistakes, you can ridicule me in public : )

2 Likes

3 Likes

A dime! Now worth more than 10 cents.

3 Likes

The galaxy IC 1823 (this can go on for a while - the excellent VizieR service of the Uni Strasbourg lists over 14000 astronomical catalogues :P)

2 Likes

1 Like

Revision ID 1825 of the English Wikipedia.

It’s the article about Archaeology as of 13:02, 29 January 2002.

1 Like

Supposedly the 1st portrait in photography: Robert Cornelius by Joseph Niépce, 1826:

6 Likes

A rather modern look for 1826. I could see him fronting a band.

1 Like

3 Likes

An 1827 engraving by Louis Leopold Boilly, entitled “The Steel Balm.”

2 Likes

6000ft in a sane unit (off by only 0.01 %)

eta: oops, I was off by factor 100 : )

1 Like

2 Likes