Darkroom that looks like a spaceship (1979)

[Permalink]

Anytime you see hexagons on the wall, it’s the future.

2 Likes

I prefer my darkrooms spooky.

The late 60’s / early 70’s were the best for basement projects!
Mine was a full chemistry lab, with gas-spigot & fume hood.
Basement-dwellers today would marvel…

3 Likes

I’ll bet the girls were awed when he brought them down to his spacecraft-darkroom-mother’s-basement.

Coda: leave no rectangle unrounded.

If they had a sense of imagination and fun, they probably were.

1 Like

I was a frequent darkroom visitor (minds, gutter, out) and that is awwwesome. I still miss the smell of fixer, and actual dodging and burning. Maybe again some day :).

1 Like

Shudder…!

Bright white everything in a darkroom? Must’of had fun controlling reflections and flare…

1 Like

Man, I miss using darkrooms, too. It was a practice in patience and a reminder of a slower time. Denver Darkroom closed it’s doors a while back and I think that they were the last darkrooms available for rental.

With the direction of film production, things may quite well go back to the age when people who wanted to do (analog, but there was no other kind then) photography were making their own emulsion coating for glass plates.

This could actually be an interesting development, simplifying the logistics of getting exotic stuff; just a few bottles of chemicals and you’re set for much wider range of options. And you can coat much wider range of substrates than what the mass-market offers.

Then, if you want to go really fancy, you can even make photosensitive glass (though that requires a glass-melting furnace) that can be selectively etched on light-exposed areas.

Or extra-thick emulsion coatings for holography…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.