DC cops caught infiltrating peaceful, lawful protest groups

Ever hear of Cointelpro? First, the infiltrator hands out leaflets; next she attends and participates in meetings; then she becomes a agent provocateur, urging illegal actions by the group.

7 Likes

Thought police? Donā€™t they have drug rings and violent gangs to infiltrate? Seems like a waste of resources to me.

Drug rings and violent gangs arenā€™t like activists who try to educate the American public on the profitable prison-industrial complex. Gotta stop the real threatā€¦ to their profits.

6 Likes

Yeah, whatever happened to cops who actually wanted to ā€œdo goodā€?

Let me be the first to say ā€“ Christ, Nicole Rizzi, youā€™re an asshole!

BTW, if any positive groups need someone to pull an end-around while the protesters are busy doing the song and dance, Iā€™m free to pose as Joe Customer and slip the letter in unnoticed.

4 Likes

Clearly the D.C. police have an excess of money and personnel, if they can afford to be infiltrating peaceful groups. The force should be cut back so that the money can be put to better use elsewhere. As patriotic civil servants with only the best intentions, I know they will step up and volunteer to take the cuts.

If the protests are peaceful and lawful, could this be turned into a free speech &| free assembly legal case?

5 Likes

I hope Nicole Rizzi likes being famous.

gee, this rings a bell. Maybe a bit more police state flags should be popping up?

The police are interfering with democratic and political organizations. There needs to be criminal penalties for these illegal actions if they donā€™t exist already. Authority must take a back seat to civil rights and law. We need to swing the direction of authority a full 180 degrees.

1 Like

i believe that is the EXACT reason we have entrapment laws.

3 Likes

The capitalists being protested against feel threatened and essentially own the government/law enforcement. The police are basically private security/muscle for corporations at this point.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, entrapment laws only go so far. You have to prove that you would never have done the thing if the police hadnā€™t goaded you into it, and they just have to paint you as someone who was waiting for the opportunity.

2 Likes

nice to see Americans copying British policing methods. I wonder if she was forming sexual relationships with people in the group.

1 Like

Apparently blocking lawful protests is more important than, oh, I donā€™t know, rape and murder. Gross. :confused:

1 Like

Actually, if one stuck a period on the end, itā€™d be a perfectly complete sentence. As you originally used it, it was part of a run-on sentence.

Love,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Undercover Grammar Cop

3 Likes

So Iā€™m technically correct then?

It is worth noting that run on sentences are not unheard of as a rhetorical device. Either way, the point was not grammar but context. It was an incomplete segment of the original sentence. You seem to have missed that in your grammar rage.

Love,
Your friendly neighborhood technicality and context cop.

Yeah, Iā€™m sure Missy didnā€™t want to be spotted, eitherā€¦

Sheā€™s an UNDERCOVER agent and now has been blasted all over the internet. Heh. No more undercover agenting for this woman!

Well, I have to grant you that much, but everyone makes mistakes now and again. Countless go unnoticed until it is too late.
I must applaud them for being so in touch with their community. She is really a good example, Iā€™m sure if she did her job better, image wise she fit right in. She certainly doesnā€™t look like a 250 pound biker sticking out like a sore thumb.

1 Like

Hehā€¦ ā€œrage.ā€ Anyhoo, ā€œcomplete sentenceā€ is, as Iā€™m sure you know, a term for a sentence that contains both a subject and a predicate. If itā€™s missing one of those elements, itā€™s called an ā€œincomplete sentence.ā€

I know you were referring to the fact that the quote was technically taken out of context, though honestly you donā€™t lose much in this instance. You said, ā€œPolice arenā€™t stupid, if you spotted them, itā€™s because they wanted you to.ā€ Itā€™s not a stretch to cherry-pick the quote ā€œPolice arenā€™t stupidā€ and call that a bold statement. Itā€™s not as if the statement ā€œpolice arenā€™t stupidā€ was dependent upon certain circumstances in the original quote, as in ā€œpolice arenā€™t stupid if they happen to be educated and sensitive to the needs of the population they are sworn to protect and defend.ā€

So feel free to decry Scooterā€™s quote as being an incomplete quote. But punctuation aside, it wasnā€™t an incomplete sentence.

For what itā€™s worth, that doesnā€™t in and of itself disqualify your initial point about how the undercover cops are never discovered accidentally or through any lack of disguise competence on their part, but only when they consciously decide to unmask themselves. That argument will have to stagger into the ring and defend itself elsewhere, since I donā€™t really have the expertise to purse my lips and blow it over myself.

You do make a good point that anyone who dismisses the cops (particularly ones hostile to their cause) as incompetent goons does so at their own peril. Even in todayā€™s environment of municipal budget cuts, police forces are generally far better-funded and better-organized and arguably better-trained than your garden-variety protest groups. But I was interested in your link about bringing counter-insurgency strategy to domestic police work. The story didnā€™t seem to have anything to do with undercover work. Rather, it seemed like some ā€œrevolutionaryā€ re-application of the timeworn Officer Friendly approach, wherein the Fuzz make a strong public presence known, not as a show of force, but engaging with law-abiding residents and businesses in a positive way to show how much the force cares about the community and to eventually convince the common folk to trust the cops and help them out with investigations.

The fact that this approach has been defunct long enough that it now purports to derive from counter-insurgency soldier work in Afghanistan is kindaā€¦ depressing. Cops were always supposed to act like they were on the same side as the law-abiding folks in the neighborhood, instead of doing whatever they could to alienate the community at large.

1 Like

Dammit! When will the cops stop sneaking into our organizations? Get out, man!

1 Like

Now that my cover is blown I can reveal my cunning disguise: I permit myself to boldly split infinitives, right out here where everyone can see.

I canā€™t tell you how much paperwork the Home Office requires from me as a direct result of this ruse.

2 Likes