Design suggestion box

Can you be more specific? What web browser and platform?

What happens when you click this link?

Oh. Oops. It seems to happen specifically to links to BoingBoing articles that have the preview template. Previews don’t seem to work in this thread, but the one I posted at This Day in Blogging History: Superstitious investment fund; State Dept’s surveillance tech exhibit; Tech docs hall of weird seems to exhibit the problem.

…Or at least it was, a little while ago. Hm. I’m using the latest Firefox, for Windows 7.

Was this fixed already, or should I keep struggling to re-duplicate it again?

I can’t duplicate it. You can try experimenting on our sandbox at http://try.discourse.org to repro it if you like.

I made a typo the other day which was just missing a space betweenwords. It wouldn’t let me correct because it was not a big enough change. Seems that could be fine tuned.

I realize now it probably would have worked if I had retyped the whole word. Next time for sure!

How bizarre! It seems to happen exclusively when I middle-mouse-click the links, including the ones in this thread! And it only works the first time I click on it – after that, middle-clicking does nothing until I refresh the page. (I get a “Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window” warning that I have to bypass before the window opens.) Control-clicking, shift-clicking, and control-shift-clicking produce nothing unexpected. I never knew something like this was possible.

(To be quite clear, middle-clicking links opens a page in a new tab everywhere else I’ve seen.)

Another vote to either get rid of the infinite scroll “feature” or make it optional. I tend to come to Boing Boing every few days, and catching up is a hassle:

1 - Scroll a ways down, find an interesting post
2 - Space out, open the link in the same window/tab, instead of a new one
3 - Curse
4 - Read the article
5 - Click back, waste time scrolling back down to where you were at
6 - Go to step 1

This gets rather old rather quickly.

1 Like

threading of comments is confusing - i.e. there is basically none.

1 Like

Just to make sure I am following,

You tend to find interesting BB posts on the BBS, then read the comments and finally decided to click to the article if the comments are interesting?

We do tons to make sure you don’t lose your spot, just having some difficulty following your particular use pattern.

Weird. What browser and OS?

Provided you are logged in, we track your read position individually in every topic and you should never lose it.

You may also be interested in the “open all external links in a new tab” setting in your user preferences:

Is it just me, or has the tone been a little angry in here today?

You know what I would like? The option to mute individual users so I can’t see their comments.

Edit: and/or the option to hide a thread so it doesn’t keep popping up to the top and suggesting you read it.

1 Like

What/why/how?

I just re-read my reply and Jeff’s and can not tell what is offensive here? Feel free to PM me with any details if you don’t want it public.

As to ignoring stuff, you can mute topics.

We have talked about adding mute for categories and users, it gets complicated but we are thinking about it.

I didn’t mean this topic. Nah, nothing offended me, I just got fed up with one thread, but having looked at it a couple of times, it keeps suggesting I read it again.

I did not know I could mute topics, so thanks! Although it’s still there in the list.

Muting stuff should right away cause 2 things:

1. The topic should not show up in your Suggested Topics list
  2. The blue and grey circles should no longer show on it, it should not be in the unread tab anymore

If either of those things are not happening… then Huston we have a problem.

It’s like the Family Circus comic strip…it’s always there, in the lower right hand corner, just waiting to suck. But yet, I can’t look away. I hate it, but I’m strangely drawn to it.

Reminds me of this animated gif I saw today (in link form only to protect you)

Yeah, that’s happened. I was hoping it would vanish entirely though. :slight_smile:

@awesomerobot @beschizza

Noticing styling of tight lists leaves quite a lot to be desired. For example:

1. Capicola chicken beef ribs jerky jowl hamburger. Shankle kielbasa corned beef shoulder salami meatball leberkas meatloaf pork loin filet mignon rump strip steak short loin. Pastrami ham andouille, meatloaf sirloin cow frankfurter spare ribs chuck shank boudin beef. Ground round ham salami doner t-bone, pork belly pastrami chuck jowl tri-tip bresaola tail. Chicken beef ribs flank hamburger, t-bone strip steak jerky meatloaf. Biltong chicken venison meatball, andouille jowl short loin ham hock bacon salami ball tip ground round sirloin. Ham hock capicola strip steak, short loin pancetta sirloin pork chop filet mignon rump pork belly t-bone shank leberkas.
  2. Capicola chicken beef ribs jerky jowl hamburger. Shankle kielbasa corned beef shoulder salami meatball leberkas meatloaf pork loin filet mignon rump strip steak short loin. Pastrami ham andouille, meatloaf sirloin cow frankfurter spare ribs chuck shank boudin beef. Ground round ham salami doner t-bone, pork belly pastrami chuck jowl tri-tip bresaola tail. Chicken beef ribs flank hamburger, t-bone strip steak jerky meatloaf. Biltong chicken venison meatball, andouille jowl short loin ham hock bacon salami ball tip ground round sirloin. Ham hock capicola strip steak, short loin pancetta sirloin pork chop filet mignon rump pork belly t-bone shank leberkas.
  3. Capicola chicken beef ribs jerky jowl hamburger. Shankle kielbasa corned beef shoulder salami meatball leberkas meatloaf pork loin filet mignon rump strip steak short loin. Pastrami ham andouille, meatloaf sirloin cow frankfurter spare ribs chuck shank boudin beef. Ground round ham salami doner t-bone, pork belly pastrami chuck jowl tri-tip bresaola tail. Chicken beef ribs flank hamburger, t-bone strip steak jerky meatloaf. Biltong chicken venison meatball, andouille jowl short loin ham hock bacon salami ball tip ground round sirloin. Ham hock capicola strip steak, short loin pancetta sirloin pork chop filet mignon rump pork belly t-bone shank leberkas.

Needs more line hight and separation.

@daneel is referring to other BBS topics. I think I know which one. But please DO flag things that you feel are over the line in terms of personal attacks and general rudeness.

Guidelines: http://boingboing.net/community

In general I feel there is not enough flagging going on. Flags tell mods where to look and possibly intervene to keep things civil. Flag often!

Looks fine to me :wink: One warning: I feel very strongly we should avoid lists that are so widely spaced with CSS that they look like they have physical lines between each item. In other words:

1. This

2. Has an extra line

3. Between each item

versus

1. This
  2. Does not have any extra lines
  3. Between each item

In my experience using CSS to make super-spaced lists causes a lot of confusion with users entering posts who think those are real lines between the items.

1 Like

Expanding posts to read replies is great. But then seeing the same replies again in the main thread is really confusing. I just think people are double posting. How about a modification where if I expand a particular post to read its replies, these replies disappear from the main thread?

1 Like

Definitely on our list for consideration. One difficulty though, once these pre-read replies are collapsed downstream, you can’t reply to them, like them, or otherwise interact with them. You’d have to re-expand them to do that.

Why not make it so that you can interact with them in the “replies to” view, thus making threading actually work for those who want it.

1 Like