Design suggestion box

Update: I’ve noticed that the number of comments seems to have gone way down (for the posts I click through) since the switch. I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing since the smaller number of comments seem to be of a bit better quality overall. However, I almost never click through to the forums. I like to just keep scrolling and see the first one or two comments after a post, but I’m not willing to click a link and wait for another page to load.

Oh, I dunno. I like how @codinghorror points out that threading is impossible to format properly, that it goes over to the right of the screen. AS NATURE INTENDED.

If only we could shove those threads into a computer and manipulate them the way we wanted to.

Ah, 'tis but a fancy. Now, back to stacking the lead. Mind the p’s and q’s!

1 Like

I moved a post to a new topic: What about additional post reactions other than “like”?

I moved a post to an existing topic: Where is the mobile layout for Discourse?

forgotten, or just far down on your list? sorry, not trying to bitch here, just curious

regarding youtube[quote=“Woodchuck45, post:15, topic:8909”]
I can’t seem to get Discourse to let me use the #t= trick.
[/quote]

can something be done for this?

1 Like

I moved 6 posts to a new topic: “Mark all as read” or read tracking behavior changes?

hey, this new feature is cool

kudos!

These aren’t suggestions - but it is two issues I have noted and probably should have shared sooner.

First off, I was having it so the BBS pages would not show up in fire fox. The header was there, and you could even view the source, but for what ever reason it would not render. I tried it on IE and it worked fine, and I’ve just gone ahead and used IE for all my BB browsing.

Note - the actual BB pages never had a problem rendering.

Second - I have seen several times now when I edit a post, hit save, the post sometimes is messed up, like it is missing letters or whole words. I hit edit again thinking that I messed something up, but it looks correctly there. If you refresh the page it shows up correctly.

That’s weird - it works fine in firefox for me.

Oh it sometimes works for me just fine. At first I thought, gee they must be having issues with the BBS since it’s not coming up. Then when it lasted for more than a day I checked it out in IE.

It would work ok for me for awhile, and then it would go back to only displaying the top bar. Eventually I got tired of the erratic behavior and just used IE. Which I hate using.

Tried Chrome? Seems like that’s the primary target of Discourse.

I was a diehard Firefox user for years, and had a very customized setup, so was skeptical of Chrome but it quickly won me over. Especially now that there are tons of extensions and add-ons available, though I switched before that was actually the case because Firefox became utterly unusable on OS X and Safari doesn’t cut it (although it’s honestly not that bad).

I just do not like Google. They are voracious consumers of data and I just don’t trust them not tracking me. No one must learn of my My Little Pony addiction.

As for a target - web pages should be W3C compliant and the browsers should adhere to those standards.

3 Likes

https://cdn.discourse.org//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/1X/c89f404fbf36f0e674d3ea1b07c4e5ce61612295.gif

4 Likes

You might be interested in SRWare Iron, which is Chrome (actually Chromium) without all the Google data collection and things like that.

But I agree, clearly the site should be designed to work in all major browsers (and the browsers should be designed to all render pages the same in the first place) – I’ve just noticed the devs clearly have a Chrome slant, which is something to keep in mind while Discourse is still in beta development.

And I have to say, Firefox tends to fail more spectacularly than any other browser – it’s easy to unintentionally majorly screw up your profile and break core functionality that you wouldn’t think has anything to do with that (like rendering pages correctly). The main solution to that sort of problem that’s offered if you search support forums is to create a new user profile – in many cases the problem can’t be reproduced because the user has no idea what got messed up somewhere along the way.

I use IE10 and IE11 all the time on my Surface Pro to browse BBS, no issues. IE9 will be… bad, because they did not implement pushState which means the URL will never change in the address bar. IE9 is our absolute minimum “sort of works” browser.

I have been using Firefox 24 / Windows for days now with no issue on BBS. I did notice that Firefox has some occasional graphical rendering glitches at times that seem to be related to problems with Firefox’s hardware accelerated rendering support. The glitches are all just cosmetic though, and at a much lower level than Discourse, in the browser executable itself.

Oh man - I remember those times. Making sites that played well with IE and Netscape was a real bitch. Some people made two completely different sites.

To be clear, it works fine in IE 10 for me. I was having it work most of the time, but not always, in Firefox 24.

BBS should work fine in Firefox 24. (I am using it right now in fact…) There are a few people currently reporting the need to click twice on Reply in Firefox which is definitely odd (and I desperately wish I could reproduce it), but nothing that I know of other than that.

I can confirm that one. Sometimes more than twice, but usually twice. Started happening very recently, and I think the pop-ups for user avatars started at the same time?