Detroit News documents the decimation of one city block

[Read the post]

One block on Greensboro Street saw 33 of 38 homes go into mortgage or tax foreclosure in the last ten years.

(If they were decimated, only four would be in foreclosure.)

7 Likes

it’s interesting race isn’t mentioned at all in the newspaper’s summary of findings.

a quick hunt around the webs indicates subprime lenders more often targeted minorities, there’s at least one study saying while traditional loans decrease segregation subprimes loans may actually increase segregation, and there are indications the benefits of recovery have been flowing mainly towards whites ( academic analysis, and otherwise ).

in fact, unless i’m missing something, it seems there are only two mentions of race in their articles:

His neighborhood [was] among the top tracts nationwide with the highest rates of subprime lending… Others were in enclaves of St. Louis; Houston; Memphis, Tennessee; Jacksonville, Florida, and Jackson, Mississippi. All are overwhelmingly African-American neighborhoods.

and:

An investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice found that National City charged black and Hispanic borrowers higher loan rates based on their race.

what gives detroit news?

1 Like

Why, when a property is seized for unpaid taxes, does the municipality take the whole thing? Why don’t they sell it, take out the amount equal to the unpaid tax, and give the change to the former owner? (Or maybe I’m wrong, and they do give the change to the owner, but I’ve never heard that.)

Until you meet the sales team and the marketing department, anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.