Dizzy earthlings

[Permalink]

Also, moving about 67K miles per hour along the path of Earth’s orbit around the Sun.

2 Likes

And if you actually stand on a pole, I would guess you are spinning at 0mph and 360 degrees per 24 hours.

1 Like

This is exactly the reason for all the Florida-hate going on: We’re just faster than the rest of you 'Mericans. SUCK IT!

…sooo, anyone up for a few beers and Taco Bell?

2 Likes

Pssh. I only gauge my speed relative to the galactic center.

2 Likes

Hmmm, so was Monty Python accurate for Britain?

Just… re…member that you’re standing on a planet that’s evolving,
revolving at 900 miles an hour…

(warning: NSFW space-time-continuum nudity…)

2 Likes

Which makes me wonder about an old TV show - and certain fantasy stories. Remember The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything? The premise is that there’s a stop watch that stops time from passing outside of yourself. So… everything but you stops. The Earth stops in its tracks. Wouldn’t you just be flung off into space? You actually have a lot of inertia. These are the odd things that bother me late at night…

1 Like

I’d think all the air molecules around you that have frozen in place would hold you where you are. Even if there’s a local field of normal time around you, there would surely be interactions with the frozen atmosphere that would at least interfere with you flying off to infinity.

There is the problem of sudden deceleration, though…

1 Like

Not if there’s no time for deceleration to happen in, and gravity is still holding you to the earth’s surface.

I’m just saying, if a civilization can stop time, they can probably stop inertia too.

Well, sure, but stopping inertia wasn’t in the original description. And the deceleration to worry about would be your own, which would have time for it to happen in.

And now you just have the issue of needing to constantly un-freeze enough air around yourself and get it to your lungs to keep from suffocating…

I get it, I’m not claiming it’s not a problem. Also applies to superheros, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RequiredSecondaryPowers. I’m just saying if we’re already postulating the ability to locally stop time, the required secondary abilities don’t seem too impossible.

I’m actually expanding in the 4th spacetime dimension, which is how I explain the weight I put on over the holiday season.

No wonder it’s so hard to find those neutrinos, like trying to catch baseballs while sitting on a merry-go-round.

It makes me wonder about time travel. Stories never address the fact that five minutes ago, or five centuries ago, the Earth was somewhere else.

I believe that’s addressed, in depth, in the latest Dr. Peabody movie.

As a result, you are detectably lighter at the equator than at the poles.

And how fast is the earth moving around the sun?

And how fast is our solar system moving through the galaxy?

And how fast is a galaxy moving through the universe?

The Internet tells me were moving through the universe at 1.3 million miles per hour. Not sure how accurate that figure is

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.