Did you ever want to play questions?

Is that what you would have to do if your short circuited exception handling was a mistake? I suppose it’s not so bad if there’s a fallback option, right? Isn’t talking about it making me feel a little unclean too?

No, the reports are part of the migration process, to ensure all the data comes over fine – and to reveal errors in the pre-migration data, right? So skipping over the trouble spots (with the weep-inducing empty catch-blocks) means that I don’t have to scrub the data, can let the program run, let the reports run, and let the SMEs do the data scrubbing like they’re supposed to do, you know?

We can just throw a Canadian eh? onto the end of any sentence, right?

Well aren’t you doing fine, Oklahoma? OK?

2 Likes

Isn’t that all theatre? Well, shouldn’t it be? Coriolanus, The Musical!

2 Likes

Migration? Canadians? Is this legal?

4 Likes

Can you believe, re the try catch blocks, I did the same thing yesterday? Ever have the temptation to,instead of printing a stack trace, just stdout “Burp!”? You know… For maintainability?

1 Like

Mind if I do a little happy dance to express my joy at having understood what the hell a standard deviation is, how to calculate a z-score, and how to apply it using Chebyshev’s theorem?

9 Likes

Didn’t you lose me at standard deviation? Aren’t we right there with you, though?

1 Like

Are you going to be working with statistics, or, like me, forget 90% of that stuff once you finish school?

(Unless you get stuck with quality initiatives like 6 sigma at work?)

4 Likes

Assuming I can get the job I want when I graduate… mmmmmmaybe I’ll need to use it? Although, if it follows like all the crap I learned in HS and many of my lower-division courses, maybe not? Aren’t there computer programs to crunch all the numbers so I won’t really need to know how to calculate all this stuff?

2 Likes

Ha, didn’t I do that exactly once mostly in Excel then promptly forget how?

1 Like

Are you ever tempted to say, “hey guys, this is like over 9000 sigmas”?

2 Likes

What would that be? 99.999999999…99999%?

1 Like

3 Likes

Yeah, isn’t that better than Six, yo?

How is it possible there are this many comments in a thread without it just being a bot?

2 Likes

A lot of us really really don’t like our day jobs?

6 Likes

Isn’t it though? Have you not realized we are just all OtterMichael bots?

5 Likes

Can I posit that it may be the internet equivalent of a smoke break?

4 Likes

Am I not a bot?

How can I tell?

2 Likes