Dogs of the world, illustrated and grouped by geography

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Mate if weā€™re gonna call Aussie dogs by their proper names, weā€™re gonna call the top left a Blue Heeler*.

I had a Red Heeler once. Crazy bloody dog. Once ran through a picket fence, taking out two pickets, to attack the postman. He scooted away on his motorbike and got away, but we realised shortly after that dog wasnā€™t safe and needed to be put down.

The Blue Heelers Iā€™ve met tend to have a bit of a better temperament then the reds. Either way Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d ever get another Heeler as a pet.

*Yes I know Australian Cattle Dog is the ā€˜correctā€™ term, but Heeler is the much more common name.

2 Likes

How adorable is that? Love the little details like the way the whippet and saluki have pointy little legs.

Her Dalmatian (in the ā€œMediterranean Dogsā€) is badly patched. Of course that only matters if you want a dog to take in the show ring.

Twelve American dogs, but only nine African dogs? Wha?

I love how there might be fewer Canadian dogs, but theyā€™re BIGGER! Can you imagine a teacup chihuahua in an Ottawa winter?

Obviously it is very pretty work, but I donā€™t get the feeling the artist is really someone who has close experience of England, Wales or Ireland. The Wolfhound doesnā€™t look like a Wolfhound and the Bull Terrier simply isnā€™t that cute and smiley in real life - they are horrible dogs and are usually kept for purposes of projecting aggression and violence - a disconcertingly saccharine interpretation that could dangerously misinform visitors to Blighty. There are other minor cultural and linguistic differences, about which I may or may not be mistaken but what appears to be labelled the Irish Setter tends to just get called the Red Setter in the UK, and what seems to be labelled the Springer Spaniel gets called the Cocker Spaniel, but Iā€™m no expert on canines by any means.

Always knew them as Blue Heelers - they were popular among dairy farmers in Wisconsin when I was growing up.
I always liked their disposition - almost seemed more cat-like.

Seriously? Itā€™s a sweet drawing style, not an illustrated guide to reality. Even her cats are smiling.

1 Like

Where are the German Dogs?

Right here.

1 Like

I had a Red Heeler once. Crazy bloody dog. Once ran through a picket fence, taking out two pickets, to attack the postman. He scooted away on his motorbike and got away,

Yeah, thatā€™s a crazy dog. But why did you give him a motorbike?

6 Likes

How else would he catch the postman?!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.