Dropbox responds to "Drop Dropbox" campaign after Condoleezza Rice joins board

I dropped them last night and uninstalled their app from all my devices. I still have plenty of free space on other systems, such as Google Drive.

2 Likes

From the Dropbox blog post: “There’s nothing more important to us than keeping your stuff safe and secure.”

ORLY? Nothing? Would Mr. Houston resign his position as CEO rather than violate the security (from government surveillance) of his users’ files? Would he and the board allow the company to fold, would they go to jail, rather than accede to the demands of a National Security letter? Nothing more important?

Of course, the great thing about his statement is that it’s so vaguely worded that it could mean anything or nothing. “Keeping your stuff safe and secure” could mean parking in your driveway to keep an eye on your house, or providing the government with a regular feed of encryption keys in the name of their idea of national security.

6 Likes

Hmmm. I dunno, people. Maybe not so hasty with the symbolics? Might be worth keeping an account going. Y’know, ready for the day when they pick you up for being uppity. “But I have a dropbox account …!

2 Likes

So glad they just updated their iOS version yesterday - I’d forgotten I had it on my iPad. It’s been deleted now. Guess I need to see if I still have an account and close it out.

2 Likes

Bringing someone like Rice on board makes Dropbox’s free storage deal look surprisingly sinister.

3 Likes

It’s like Col. Sanders being on the board of PETA.

3 Likes

I wonder if Dropbox will end up being the high-profile poster-child casualty of the War on Terror.

1 Like

Just Google “Dropsmack”…that entire system is so riddled with virus and malware issues it’s a joke. They are just after an IPO launch, nothing more.

1 Like

any current recommendations on alternatives? A lot of the dropbox defectors are going to google drive, but that’s problematic for many reasons also.

1 Like

Hello,

I have never been of Internet storage services. A friend of mine was a sysadmin at one during the late 90s/early 00s and used to regale me with tales of how their claim of servers in data centers was, in fact, an aging Sun box which was never backed up and when it crashed every few months, all customers’ data went with it.

These days, I do not think it matter what cloud storage provider you use. It seems that even if you do open up to FISA court mandated taps, the NSA is still going to intercept your comms via your network providers.

Sometimes I cynically wonder if the reason we don’t have faster broadband speeds in America is because of technological limitations on how much that can be monitored. Popularizing cloud technologies is one way that could help ensure that instead of having access to data only during transit that it’s available when at rest as well.

1 Like

I know they won’t even care (I only use the free service). But I’m gone. Right now I’m moving everything to box.net.

These days, I do not think it matter what cloud storage provider you use. It seems that even if you do open up to FISA court mandated taps, the NSA is still going to intercept your comms via your network providers.

What do you think of a provider like SpiderOak? My understanding of their system is that everything is encrypted on the client side before being transmitted and stored on the server.

Hard to believe that anyone trusts tech companies anymore.

I recommend SpiderOak for this. Someone with moderate skill in system administration could roll their own solution for personal file syncing, and one could use OpenPGP to encrypt files to exchange with a specific person. But SpiderOak’s the best available solution for secure file syncing and sharing for general use.

1 Like

Hello,

SpiderOak claims they have “zero knowledge” of their customers’ stored data, and if that the case, then that’s a good thing. But I have to wonder how they would respond when presented with a search warrant, subpoena or national security letter.

Hello,

On a semi-related topic, it seems Dropbox did not make resonable efforts to notify customers they were affected by the Heartbleed bug in OpenSSL: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/dropbox-in-heartbleed-fail/story-e6frgakx-1226885147127

I wonder how many remaining Dropbox customers know they need to change their passwords?

Well, all they’ve got are the identities of their customers, but nothing that could determine the contents of the files.

You’d be no better off than if a state agency raided your home and seized your server with encrypted files on it, but no worse off, either.

1 Like

There was this discussion about alternatives

1 Like

I’m sure someone downthread has mentioned it already, but Owncloud worked for me in the DIY file repository/sharing area of things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.