Enemy Mine (1985)

Also, I’m probably being a bit pedantic… I just should enjoy my modernization theory in space and not complain! :wink:

1 Like

And of course, those computers were Cardassian, so this technology emerged in multiple places, which is kind of interesting to think about.

That’s right. I remember that… But I guess that must have been the first instance of that being mentioned.

1 Like

Edited to note this is not my work. Source long lost.

9 Likes

Neverending Story?

Pfff. Labyrinth was much better.

2 Likes

WHY CAN’T I LIKE THIS MORE THAN ONCE… this is just amazing!

Also, it won’t let me post all caps. But this needs all caps.

1 Like

I really liked this movie as a kid. I loved the opening scene with the dead pilot just floating in space. I thought the story was over all pretty solid (as others have pointed out, the premise isn’t necessarily original). Watching it as I was older I still liked it, although the first and second parts are rather disjointed - had the feel of two different movies. I thought there was some sort of studio upset that was the cause of this - but I can’t find any info on it. I know early on in production they scrapped the first director.

Overall I think its a good sci-fi film and would recommend it.

Since Discourse seems to be reticent to give me an “I like the cut of your jib” button …

I like the cut of your jib. You are hereby entitled to put a fetching tripoint hat on your profile for a week.

Reportedly, the book (which is based on the movie) is a poor substitute for Longyear’s Hugo- and Nebula-winning novella (on which the movie was based). But then, the novella is the only one I have personal experience with. Considering it is a fine novella indeed, adaptation degradation strikes me as inevitable.

Seems Longyear actually wrote some more along those lines. I did not know that.

1 Like

Some people’s taste don’t mature with age. It’s okay. I forgive you.

2 Likes

Oh, good… I really don’t want to be walking down the street and see a luck dragon coming for me…

3 Likes

NOOOOOOOOO… down the streets of hot’lanta!

2 Likes

When that gif goes into reverse, I hear a back up alarm in my head.

1 Like

Enemy Mine is my go-to example of worst movie from best book. (I’m not sure if what I read was the novelette or the book.) The sequel was good too. I’ll have to put "enemy papers’’ on my wishlist.

Going by the music in the trailer, I would have thought it was about a Japanese writer who (spoilers…) commits ritual suicide for political reasons.

A friend and I recently made subtitle text files for Enemy Mine in both Kyrgyz and Russian. Kyrgyz would be a very rare language to subtitle in but if anyone is interested I am happy to send them the files.

Jeez, people, time to elevate your nerd-fu.

• In “Darmok”, the universal translator works fine; Picard can understand everything that Dathon is saying except for the proper nouns, e.g. “Shaka, when the walls fell.” What he doesn’t get is the context that the language relies heavily on, and that’s what Dathon has to teach him in order for their cultures to communicate.
  • Also, Big Trouble in Little China is not only hilarious but a subversive piss-take on the whole “white man gets dropped into ‘exotic’ culture, masters and/or conquers it” (see, for example, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, or even Avatar). The entire movie takes place in America, almost everyone in it is American-born, and Kurt Russell is playing the whole action-hero thing completely tongue in cheek.
4 Likes

I wouldn’t say that at all. I liked the first 3/4 of the movie quite a bit. It was just when I saw what they were chopping I was disappointed.

I’m not sure what version of the book I read either, I just know I read it a while before the movie was rumored, because I remember being really excited about the movie coming out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.