Every tabloid wants to die for its virtues

[Read the post]

Very inside baseball for tabloids, I guess.

A not-insignificant percentage of the world wants to see famous people having sex, so thatā€™s the reason they want to keep posting stuff like that.

Add a lawsuit and it becomes ā€œcelebrity who you probably donā€™t have much sympathy forā€ versus ā€œtabloid that you probably donā€™t have much sympathy forā€ andā€¦ well, hard to muster much enthusiasm for the whole shebang beyond meh.

They sort of deserve each other.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure someone has made the statement that great journalism involves making a jaded, apathetic public aware of things theyā€™d rather not know.

For those whose memories also arenā€™t firing on all cylinders at the moment, the aforementioned Voltaire quote (emphasis added), which I just looked up:

I do not agree with what you have to say, but Iā€™ll defend to the death your right to say it.

1 Like

I donā€™t really see the news value of a Hulk Hogan sex tape (or any sex tape Iā€™ve heard of so far), but maybe I am missing something here? It just seems mean and unnecessary. Did Hulk Hogan do something truly nasty, to deserve this? What happened to letting people have a bit of privacy, unless there is some pressing need to disclose this kind of thing (criminal conduct etc)? I guess thatā€™s been a long time dying for anyone famousā€¦

2 Likes

Voltaire said more than one pithy thing relevant to this situation, what about the time he exclaimed: ā€˜Jesus, these people are just idiotic scumā€™?

1 Like

A modern incantation of this quote would be

What you have to say adds nothing useful, interesting, or valuable to the word, but Iā€™ll defend to the death your right to say it.

2 Likes

Well that is covered in the source article, if you read it, so Iā€™ll quote here (Gawker boss Nick D talking, not me)

I have a simple editorial litmus test, which is: is it true, and is it interesting? The interest in is in proportion to the gap between the story that a brand or a celebrity brand is telling and the reality. The more the gap, the more interesting it is. Here, there was a gap between [Hoganā€™s] rather boastful sexual persona that was on display in these radio interviews and elsewhere and the real story, which made it interesting.

1 Like

They blew $20M on Kinja :open_mouth:

7 Likes

For the nth time, has nobody heard of the Streisand effect?

Streisand is on the Hogan tape?

17 Likes

Well, NOW I want to see it.

4 Likes

What principled reasons? Iā€™m really not getting this. Why is publishing a sex tape that the participants donā€™t wish to be publicly viewed any different from publishing illicitly obtained nude celebrity photos, say those from ā€œthe fappeningā€, that the subjects donā€™t want publicly viewed?

And for the record, I havenā€™t watched/looked at either as Iā€™ve (almost) as little desire to see Jennifer Lawrence et al naked as I have to see Hulk Hogan getting it on ā€¦

7 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m assuming (and hoping) that Rob is being a smartass here, because this is imho an order of magnitude worse than The Fappening. This is an obsessive fan plotting with one of Hulk Hoganā€™s friends to make a secret recording of them having sex, with the purpose of releasing it, without Hulk Hoganā€™s permission.

As weird as this apparently seems to some people, Hulk Hogan is the victim here.

Why did he do it? Doesnā€™t matter. Just like it doesnā€™t matter why Jennifer Lawrence was taking naked selfies.

5 Likes

Except Voltaire never actually said that. It comes from another writer (Evelyn Beatrice Hall) who used Voltaire as a character.

2 Likes

I believe it was Voltaire who said, ā€œI have viewed the Hulk Hogan tape in question, and found it came up shortā€.

2 Likes

20 MILLION? To make Kinja? Thatā€™s f@cking insane.

2 Likes

I canā€™t see how any reasonable person could look upon what Gawker is doing and not be absolutely disgusted.

2 Likes

Anyone given the choice between that or watching Fred Durst fuck.

3 Likes

Better beware of ever boasting of your bedside prowess then, as that instantly revokes your right to privacy - or does that only apply to celebrities? If thatā€™s all the justification there is, thatā€™s weak indeed. Celebrity or no, bragging or no, I think the decent thing would be to give Hulk a bit of privacy here.

2 Likes