Everyday people as superheroes hanging off skyscrapers (really)

[Permalink]

1 Like

I wonder if he lost any.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t want just a crewmember holding my tether. I’d want it anchored to the building

1 Like

With all of the post processing he is doing, he could easily create these shots with a few location snapshots and all the modeling could be done in a studio with much less hassle. Of course, if this was done entirely in a studio, he would have gotten none of the press. Nice job.

2 Likes

It really seems like more of a publicity stunt than an actual art shoot.

1 Like

Von Wong is a multiclass creative photographer and youtube tutorial celebrity. His signature creative projects are usually, cannily enough, art shoots and publicity stunts.

2 Likes

Beautiful. Was just in a conversation about a similar enterprise last night (photographers performing gymnastics on top of huge bridges). The context of the conversation started from some risky lifestyles of old, which included individuals who liked to make “challenge reality” statements from dangerous traipsing about ledges on very tall buildings. An influence there probably was the 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra" character who did similar, and whose philosopher coined the term of the first superhero.

The superhero add element is appropriate there, and provides, for me, anyway, a little uncomfortable itch: how badly does one really want to be a superhero, to transcend the “down below” and “rise above it all”.

Maybe this is some of the comfort of storylines in modern cinema and written fiction which have people with super powers who live in hidden societies long separate from visibility from the rest of the world.

Of course, not an alien craving for human beings, many denizens of the most glorious, ‘high up’ offices do have powers far above and beyond the average mortal. Sadly, these powers are entirely mundane, and typically largely selfish. Which probably only exacerbates that itch.

A tease.

But then you can’t say “If I’m going down, I’m taking you with me!”, which is a very superhero/supervillain thing to say.

2 Likes

Yes, and in my view, they look too much like they were processed in the studio. In fact, they barely look like photographs. The sense that they record an actual event is not present.

1 Like

Funny, that was my first impression too. I kept clicking links because I wanted to find the photographs lol!

1 Like

Nope, nope, nope! I’ll be happy to pose in a superhero costume lying on a greenscreen, but on a real skyscraper you’re not going to catch me lying on the ledge even if I am wearing a genuine everything-equipped Batman costume with extra Spideman web-spinners in the sleeves.

1 Like

Really nice. I feel better today because of this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.