Excellent magic trick: accurately predict the number on a die hidden in a metal box

[Read the post]

1 Like

I think I figured it out after one viewing.

I was pretty sure I knew after just seeing the photo, and then confirmed it by watching some video presentations, how you could quickly word out which of the three pairs it might be (i.e. 1 and 6, 2 and 5, or 3 and 4).

However, I have not been able to work out how you could know which number was up, even after several watchings, so that part still stumps me. I think I have the general gist of it, though.

1 Like

A small bump in the center would differentiate even & odd numbers. Pretty cool trick!

1 Like

It’s got to be a visual cue, I thought at first the sound might be augmented for each side but you could easily place the die in the holder quietly. That leaves the visual cues, height and orientation/angle of the top. The tilt or no tilt must be the final differentiating factor.

My favourite ever trick is the disappearing cigarette. But only because of the sleight of hand required to make it work.

Oh, and that mentalist that stumped Penn and Teller.

It only looks like brass - the container is actually glass.

3 Likes

The supersymetric material of the glass-brass transmits a thought wave directly to my brain, informing me of the die’s position.

This one is baffling. I must have it!

To clarify my hypothesis: Dice is different height on three vectors, which narrows down between 1-6/2-5/3-4. Then a bump in the center of the cylinder amplifies that delta for even numbers (for odd numbers the cylinder bump fits in the center pip of the die). So if the max change between 1 and 3 is 3mm, the pip itself would be 3mm: 1=1mm/6=4mm, 2=2mm/4=5mm, 3=3mm/4=6mm.

Naturally, subtract 1mm from everything if you want it to be flush when closed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.