Eye-to-eye contact with your dog enhances bonding by upping oxytocin, says science

[Permalink]

I expect crediting oxytocin with all sorts of superpowers will be the next pop science craze.

2 Likes

6 Likes

In this case, “science” = researchers Miho Nagasawa et al of Azabu University…

It might help to encourage people to understand science as being a problem-solving method which anybody can use, rather than a role in society…

Also FWIW I don’t understand the whole “eye contact” idea. Gazing upon something isn’t contact, it’s looking toward, not looking at. Whenever I hear the phrase “eye contact” I cringe, imaging some Three Stooges routine involving people getting poked in the eyes.

Intriguing… I always thought that staring at a dog’s eyes = playing a dominance game. Like, staring at a strange dog’s eyes will lead to either the dog running away or the dog growling at you.

1 Like

Coming to a near future science fiction story: Dogs that release Oxycontin when staring at humans

2 Likes

My dog ate my stash so I had to follow him around with a little baggy for 3 days.

Intriguing… I always thought that staring at a dog’s eyes = playing a dominance game. Like, staring at a strange dog’s eyes will lead to either the dog running away or the dog growling at you.

Just like with humans, it can mean different things in different relationships. Staring intently at a stranger would often be considered creepy or threatening; staring at a strange dog has that effect too. Staring deeply into the eyes of a person you are close to means something else. Dogs have apparently managed to learn to use eye contact in a similar way in their relationship with their humans.

1 Like

My cat totally aces this game.

2 Likes

My cat usually does it while upside down.

4 Likes

Heh, my old lab always likes to stare at me, but when I catch him staring he always looks down at the ground in front of him, as if he’s embarrassed.

If I ask him to, he’ll look me directly in the eye, but usually if I try to look him in the eye without asking him to look back, he knows he’s in trouble.

That was my main punishment when he misbehaved as a young dog/puppy. I’d grab him, and get my face up close to his and look him in the eye.

Works infinitely better than yelling, scolding or sending him outside or to his crate.

1 Like

I can never tell if my cat’s playing this game really well or wondering how deep his claws would have to go into my eyes before stuff leaked out.

4 Likes

I always thought that was just something cats knew at an instinctual level. Like how a cat’s canines are spaced perfectly apart to fit between a rat’s cervical vertebrae.

2 Likes

Certainly - and of course anecdotaly - in my experience.
The last time I stared into a dog’s eyes the little blighter went for me.

Luckily (for both of us otherwise I’d’ve had’m, I’d’ve done for’m a tells ya) the massive yorkie (and his six giant chihuahua pals) was behind bars on a staircase.

I’m pretty sure that the dog featured above is using its “Your soul is mine to devour; or you could give me a treat.” face.

Dogs certainly do have an impressive command of human emotional cues; but (not unlike humans) their use can be…a trifle self interested at times.

1 Like

Be careful, mammals.

Usually their intent stare means “Drop that piece of bacon, human! Drop it! I command you!”

http://imgur.com/9Zp2CUO

Not my pit bull. She would place her head on something and just stare adoringly at me. She was neither food or fear aggressive, although she had a penchant for fluffy white dogs so no dog park for her.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.