Facebook must face privacy violation lawsuit over scanning users' messages for ad purposes

[Permalink]

Do users have a right to complain when they’re getting all that “free ice cream”?

2 Likes

When it turns out to be a frozen dog excrement, definitely yes.

9 Likes

How does this differ from email services that do the same thing?

Edit: not very different - lots of email lawsuits out there. The ones that have “won” so far are the ones that involved minors.
This has a summary of some of the issues:

1 Like

I predict a long long appeals process. By the time this is resolved it will be moot, because Facebook will have been replaced by cranial implants or telekinesis or something.

3 Likes

Facebook is kind of like that abusive relationship you just keep going back to. It’s just so useful for keeping in touch with people that it’s hard to walk away from without suddenly feeling out of the loop on everything. You keep trying to convince yourself that this time will be different, and that it’s not like that all the time, but you know better.

Personally, if they offered the option to be exempt from all the data mining and privacy violations, I’d happily pay a decent monthly fee to use it.

Well, yeah, but you’d just be on the ‘sell this user premium subscriptions’ list…

3 Likes

Look at The Zuck. Does he inspire the confidence that if you’d pay him to not datamine you he wouldn’t pocket the money and do it anyway?

3 Likes

Well Zuckerberg just blocked my access to FACEBOOK (after six years) “for security reasons” until I submit new photo / government ID along with date of birth & other personal info. ?
Has this happened to anyone else?
My guess is because I did not respond to pop up window asking for my birthday, So until I provide date of birth & personal profile update … which no doubt will be used to help target adds to my age category, etc… I am excluded.
Fine with me … I am turned off by FACEBOOK’s / TSA’s whole data mining operation on social media and will find another sight which is less aggressive and more user friendly & respectful.
My friends can reach me by e-mail. MY NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION IS TO SPEND (READ; WASTE) LESS TIME ON THE INTERNET… SO THIS MAKES IT EASIER.

2 Likes

THIS. This ability to cut me off on a whim is one of the most important factors why I avoid having a FB account.

I wonder if sending them a photoshopped document would count as a crime…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.