Feds spend more subsidizing undergrads than undergrads pay in tuition

Don’t feel too good. Community college’s abuse is directed at the poverty wage temporary instructors they hire.

1 Like

For a country with shit secondary education, the US has a very high levels of tertiary education. On top of that, US graduate programs are considered some of the best in the world. I’m not defending the current system. The current system is utterly fucked and unsustainable. I am just pointing out that it has some virtue.

According to this, 40.58% of US adults have an associates degree or higher, while 30.94% have a bachelors degree or higher. 12% of the population does not have a high school diploma and 43% does not have any sort of college education.

The data that your link refers to comes from the OECD Education Report. The link sorts the countries by education attainment of 25 to 64 year olds:

The report sorts the data by education attainment of 25 to 34 year olds:

We are at #5 in the first graph and at #12 in the second graph. In practice, I am not sure if there is much difference between us at #12 with 43.1% and Denmark at #25 with 38.6%.

Yes, I see that.

Where did you learn about what was ‘virtuous’ in higher education?

My opinions were formed in secondary school; I went to a very ‘above average’ public school. Where do you think your opinions on that topic were formed and influenced?

My opinion that higher education is virtuous and that it should be encouraged formed quiet a bit earlier than than college. A solid 90% of my rather large extended family have no higher education. A few have done well for themselves despite that. Most are or will be dead before the age of 65. If you took all of the teeth from my father’s four brothers (all under 60) and put them in one mouth, you would still have less than half of a complete set. I was rather driven to go college because it was an obvious way to avoid the trap of poverty and ill health in a rural town that is going to kill the majority of my extended family, all of whom are still rather young because they tend to start knocking out kids at the age of 18 or less.

Getting out and getting an education isn’t inoculation against poverty and ill health, and not getting a higher education doesn’t doom you to die young and unhealthy in deep poverty, but a higher education shifts the odds more than a little in your favor. In my own life, that little piece of paper has made my life considerably easier, freer, and more comfortable. That is why I see virtue in any education system that lets a large number of people get a higher education.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.