Find God with TempleOS, a 64-bit operating system for PCs

[Permalink]

2 Likes

And here I was just thinking about how it is entirely possible to be at once brilliant and nuts.

4 Likes

Some highlights for me:

• Itā€™s got a language like C, C++ but got improvementsā€¦ called Holy
    C. [rimshot]
  • Itā€™s 640x480, thatā€™s what God said. VGA.
5 Likes

This guy has nailed that sweet spot where he comes off as completely serious, but every once in a while you catch a phrase that hints itā€™s all an enormous prank. So youā€™re never quite sure whatā€™s going on.

4 Likes

nope, heā€™s completely serious and schizophrenic.

for example, http://www.templeos.org/Wb/Accts/TS/Wb2/Rants/TAD/TADRants.html

personally, i think it would be awesome if someone forked his OS to include the stuff ā€˜godā€™ told him not to, like graphics above 640x480, and sound beyond the PC speaker. but i wonā€™t be doing it.

6 Likes

Does it play any of Ulillilliaā€™s games, or just Israel Trail?

1 Like

Well thatā€™s cool, and all but I don;t see how ā€œbrilliantā€ relates? ;}

1 Like

Yep. And this OS comes up sometimes on Reddit, and thereā€™s usually a fairly vocal contingent that points out that hey, guys, heā€™s schizophrenic, heā€™s serious, itā€™s sad, weā€™re making fun of someone with a mental condition, thatā€™s not cool.

And when Reddit tells you to stop making fun of someone, you know itā€™s serious.

[mod edit: removed paint brush insult]

9 Likes

Or perhaps itā€™s possible that Rob didnā€™t actually mean to mock the mentally ill but, like many people here, didnā€™t realize this was not a work of parody. Because Poeā€™s Law.

1 Like

I thought it might be a good idea for me to throw that out there, before too many other people unknowingly make asses of themselves.

And sometimes it helps to slap 'em with a healthy dose of ā€œyouā€™re being a bag of dicksā€ to get their attention.

3 Likes

They are ill.

They can be coherent
http://www.osnews.com/thread?558408

but other times
http://www.osnews.com/comments/27138

I think they were banned for all those comments.

My guess is that they are trying to manage the side effects of their meds by only taking them intermittently. I have had a bad enough time taking SSRIs, Iā€™d hate to have to take powerful anti-psychotics.

2 Likes

Brilliant totally applies in this case. I assume you have not tried writing your own operating system from scratch? Not only did he write his own OS, he wrote his own compiler. This is all non-trivial, and the amount of stuff that he has gotten working is amazing (particularly for what looks like a solo effort). Everything about his UI and content may be largely nonsensical to anyone outside of his head, but this edifice requires a deep understanding of so many different aspects of programming.

5 Likes

It doesnā€™t take long at all to find some really ugly racism on this guyā€™s ā€œrantsā€ page. Iā€™m thinking it might be a good idea not to give this son of a bitch any more attention, mentally ill or not.

2 Likes

Um, sorry it is trivial, in thatā€™s part of any competent undergraduate CS curriculum. So, Iā€™ll grant you heā€™s not an idiot. But, not buying the brilliant.

1 Like

Hm. driving trollies, I assume? No competent, honest person in history has ever referred to building a functional OS from scratch as ā€œtrivial,ā€ and it is certainly not a part of any CS curriculum (undergraduate or otherwise) Iā€™ve ever heard ofā€“there may be one or two, but itā€™s by no means standard.

So, yes, brilliant and nuts. Or if you want to convince me otherwise, letā€™s see LexicatOS, hm?

3 Likes

No, not trolling, just expressing an opinion. Sorry if you find my opinion disagreeable.

I suppose it depends on what one means by OS. Toy OSes get built all the time. ā€œFull featuredā€ OSes are built rather less often: it was not at all clear to me that TempleOS fit into the latter category, and, from the video, it looked more like the former.

I dont particularly care about convincing you of that nutjobā€™s brilliance. Perhaps you would care to convince me that, I donā€™t know, ermā€¦ goats prefer chocolate to, uhā€¦ pantyhose? As long as we are on the topic of things I could care less aboutā€¦

And sorry, not trained in CS, although I have heard more than enough CS undergrads, and post-grads talking about their FS, OS and compiler writing projects to feel quite comfortable with my assertion.

1 Like

Ok, so you freely admit you donā€™t know what heā€™s talking about. I do this stuff professionally, and have built my own toy OSes and compilers. So yes, I have some idea what heā€™s put together just at a glance. I donā€™t expect you to care about that, or for it to change your opinion. I just wanted to note it for the viewers following along at home.

And since it sounds like youā€™ve been bored to tears by CS majors droning on about their homework, I donā€™t really care to convince you of anything. So, feel free to reply and have the last word!
[mod edit: removed insult]

1 Like

Yeah, you do. Otherwise you wouldnā€™t have made three posts about it already.

1 Like

Sometime back, the programmer appeared on Metafilter to participate in a thread on LoseThos. He actually didnā€™t get banned, and the thread might be interesting to read:
http://www.metafilter.com/119424/An-Operating-System-for-Songs-from-God

Itā€™s all running in ring 0 with real = virtual, so heā€™d lose marks for that. But then heā€™s only allowing himself 144,000 lines of source code to match the number of souls who will enter heaven on the day of judgement. Considered on its own terms itā€™s a triumph and fairly wonderful

3 Likes