Firsthand account of NSA sabotage of Internet security standards

It’s not a battle if you exploit it rather than expecting some magical enlightenment, is it?

It’s mind hacks all the way down, and if you don’t put the positive dream on top then you’ve got nothing to weave the threads into.

The ‘plan to be jerks’ vision just isn’t helping, is it?

Sigh…I wish I could recall exactly where I read it at. I thought that I got linked there from here but now I’m all confuzled. From what I recall reading, the NSA was only able to break some of this encryption due to the ridiculous amounts of money thrown at the problem and with the liberal use of supercomputers. The article then quoted someone to say that elliptical curve Diffie-Hellman was secure and that even with the use of supercomputers, it would be an order of magnitude more difficult to break than AES.

I sure as hell hope that it wasn’t all a dream…

Thanks that answered my question.

Well, I do most everything internet related from within a sandbox plus I keep my anti-this and that tools up to date (checked daily) and if someone is inside my house and ISN’T related to me, they risk getting shot. While I agree with you that it needs to be won in D.C., I’ve been adamant about security since I maintained the computers for our Battalion Headquarters when I was stationed in Germany - and that was 30-40 years ago.

Can’t be to careful ya know.

The key would be something known only to myself and the recipient of course and NOT transmitted online or through a cellphone. Really, I was using the example of sending private notes to the wife only as an example. I’m too old to worry about someone reading an email wherein I tell my wife how much I love her. I was actually more concerned with moving files. This really only pertains to myself and a couple of guys that I grew up with and usually involves music that we’re writing. Paranoid? Sure. Why not. It actually started as a joke where we were kidding around about how to keep someone from stealing our ideas. I had the idea to use TrueCrypt to encrypt it and then to encrypt THAT file also. There’s no way for an outsider to get the key as it’s a pretty long involved in-joke between the three of us and has numerous, deliberate misspellings. The whole article got me thinking about safe communications though and how to keep the TLA’s from getting into my business no matter what it might be, hence my question regarding that particular encryption scheme.

I appreciate all the answers though! It’s definitely given me some things to think on and research.

I don’t want to speak for Cowicide but personally, I know from keeping abreast of things going on in regards to the NSA that, at the moment, I don’t really want to put myself into a position where they might toss my sorry ass in jail for cutting and pasting a link let alone actual demonstrations. Until there’s a bit more curtailment of the TLA’s abilities to ignore the law and just jail someone with utter impunity, I’ll stay here and try my best to stay out of the line of fire. Being that my wife is handicapped and so is our grandson who we’re raising, me going to jail even for the very best of personal beliefs wouldn’t be in their best interests.

No worries. If the key is not something known by anyone other than the relevant parties and is not stored or transmitted electronically then you’ve got yourself a pretty robust system.

It’s fairly trivial to set up your email client to send and receive encrypted email using PGP if you feel so inclined: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/encrypted-e-mail-how-much-annoyance-will-you-tolerate-to-keep-the-nsa-away/

FWIW: In my opinion it’s silly to lock up artistic creation in any way. It’s easy to imagine a situation where your future relatives stumble upon something you’ve made and are unable to view or listen to it because it’s locked up and the only people who knew the key are long dead. If you’re not doing anything illegal or stuff that won’t raise the suspicions of the TLAs then save yourself, your friends and your potential future relatives the PITA of encryption.

Heh…a lot of it is, as I said, a throwback from my Army days and trying to keep retarded Lieutenants and Captains from leaving all kinds of top secret stuff out in the open because, as you may know if you know anything about the military, since they’re officers, they’re WAY more intelligent than we lowly enlisted soldiers. I wish I were joking about that by the way.

In the case of my future generations being able to access info I may have locked away (not only music), there are a couple of people who either know how to access it or know where to go to get the tools needed to do so. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people to damn stupid to realize that stashing something in a place that wouldn’t ever be suspected of containing it is just as valid as encrypting something as a way to keep it out of someone elses hands.

Umm…to be honest, I’ve just been too damn lazy to setup PGP. Used it back when it was pretty new and then got out of the habit for some odd reason. Hear that noise? That was me telling myself to pull my head out of my ass and get it done so thanks again!

Well, i have part of my answer then.

And you’d have a better proportion of an answer if you actually addressed the whole point of what I posted rather than cherry-picking a small portion of one sentence. Did you think I was using hyperbole when I said that they could toss you in jail for posting a link?

So yeah, you go right ahead and imagine you understand my point while you fail to address the same.

Hey, I’m sorry, i didn’t mean to rub you the wrong way. My bad, that sounded a bit aggressive.

I very much know you weren’t using hyperbole. They can. I know they have. It has happenned here too. Not only arrests, but plenty of cases of police killings during the riots and protests. But its effective, and sadly, necessary. (The movements, not the deaths, mind you.)

I just think that a big part of the effectiveness of mass protest is that you cannot put everyone in jail
-god knows your govt. has tried, though.-

Sorry…I shouldn’t post a lot while on pain meds (morphine for the win woohoo!).

Unfortunately, even if there were to be a protest that included, say, a million or more people. All that would do, seriously, is tell the NSA (and, by extension, the government) what they already know. People are highly pissed off and getting more paranoid by the day. Part of the problem, as I see it, is that even if the NSA were to publicly change the way that they do things, absolutely nobody is going to believe anything that they say. When the Director goes before a Congressional committee and blatantly lies, and people see that nothing is done about it, everyone pretty much knows that things aren’t going to change.

Personally, I think that if more and more people were to use encryption software, working encryption software, for email, file transfers and even just general internet usage, the TLA’s would have to spend a hell of a lot more money in attempting to decrypt everything. When it comes to cell phone usage and the NSA/FBI’s illegal grabbing of same, I don’t think things are going to change no matter what anyone does. The NSA in particular is pretty much a law unto itself. The CIA was that way back in the 60’s and 70’s but seems to have turned into an agency full of Keystone Kops. Since I use my cell phone maybe once a month, I don’t generally worry about that. They can already track me through my home phone since it’s bundled in with my cable and internet.

btw, where are you in the world? I was under the (mistaken and stupid) assumption that you were here in the States. I have no idea why, it just seemed that way to me.

We digress in the potential for change that denmonstrations create. I just arrived late to work, so i’ll expand on that later. Ha!

Encryption is one of the ways too go, too. We agree there. We need to change our ways, and never never never pull our pants down and admit defeat.

I am from argentina, I was quoting the 2001 riots on one of my previous answers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.