Flip-book card trick that wowed the Britain's Got Talent judges

[Read the post]

1 Like

I am guessing he is adding the bottom card to the deck after the mark picks it?

1 Like

My guess is that each card has two images. One of 1/26th of the stick figure sequence and one with one of the 52 cards being held by the figure. You only see half the card while he flips through, no?

5 Likes

ooh thats even craftier, well each card other than the top one.

1 Like

Yup. I had this trick when I was ten or so. It´s a pretty cool effect but not hard at all to perform. I never got as far as developing any real slight of hand skills during the short phase I was into magic tricks and I still had no problems with it. Seems a little disingenuous to me to use it in a “talent competition”, since it doesn´t really require much talent of your own.

1 Like

Seeing as the judges are so easily fooled with an off-the-shelf trick, maybe I can get on the show with my never before seen magic act I developed that I call “got your nose”!

4 Likes

Well his presentation wasn’t bad, for an Englishman.

The second-last card doesn’t look much like a 7 of hearts:

I must be pretty slow this morning. Why 1/26th and not 1/52nd if it’s a full deck? How does he line up the final card?

Here’s the history of the trick, which evidently dates back to 1928:
http://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php?id=cards:animated_flipbook_card_revelation

I dunno, everyone who goes on this show is doing something that has been done before. Even though the trick is easy, he would have had to practice it, presumably draw the images on the cards properly, and his showmanship was pretty good. The audience seemed impressed, and isn’t that the point?*

*No need to point out to me that these things are heavily produced, so the audience reaction could have been completely manufactured as well.

His patter and presentation was good. Stupid camera changes kept me from seeing if the card force was blatant or not. Honestly I like the Penn & Teller Fool Us show for magic tricks. Sometimes they know exactly what is done and are still amazed as it is done so well they miss it.

1 Like

That can be a dangerous one to the wrong audience.

1 Like

2 Likes

My guess would be so that when you remove the card from the deck, there isn’t a frame missing from the animation.

I wouldn’t have thought you would notice one frame missing - it takes about 5 seconds to go through the deck, which would make the speed about 10 fps - you’d notice it more if almost all cards had a double. In any case, going through at 0.25 speed shows an approximately full deck with no doubles. In any case, my main question was if this is the trick, how would you be able to find the correct card, take it out, turn it around and put it at the end without the judges noticing?

They don’t call it “sleight of hand” for nothing. :wink:

4 Likes

Examining the GIF, the cards are in order: Hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades, sorted from K to A within each suit (top-to-bottom). Finding the card you want isn’t hard.
As for removing it, turning it around, and forcing it to the bottom of the deck: magic.

Edit: Looking closer, I think the GIF starts halfway through the deck, so it’s either C-H-D-S or H-C-D-S. I don’t think we see either the hearts or the clubs, so I can’t say which is first. I’m pretty sure I was wrong, though, about the clubs being after the diamonds.

1 Like

You can see the second figure’s head as he flips through the deck, on the last card the other figure is holding the hat above his head.

Also when he’s showing the figure he pushes up the cards showing each next one also has a figure, I bet he was counting to get to the right card. He does count to 9 but the last 2 cards were moved faster like they were unimportant :stuck_out_tongue:

The presentation was good, you´re right about that.
The trick comes with pre-drawn cards, so he didn´t actually have to draw them himself.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.