Fondue-slippers: just dip your feet in this molten PVC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2014/06/02/fondue-slippers-just-dip-your.html

1 Like

I think his name is Japanese for “Flint Lockwood.”

2 Likes

Just like in Cloudy with a a chance of Meatballs II

1 Like

I was thinking Killgore Trout’s footwear from Breakfast of Champions.

3 Likes

These would be great for staggering people with foot-stank after a long day of wearing unventilated shoes. Waitstaff take note!

2 Likes

Just last night I was thinking about cool products that just missed the mark because of a single flaw. In this instance, my feet are sweaty and stinky just looking at it.

I wonder if vent holes could be carved out?

1 Like

The slippers look awesome but a home kit might be a recipe for foot burns. The thought of burns on the soles of my feet makes me wince.

Wait, does this product involve dipping my foot into 200C molten plastic?!?

1 Like

This was my question.

Not very original…

Early 1500s - explorers noted that native americans of the amazon basin dipped their feet in the sap taken from a large canopy tree of the rain forest - Hevea brasiliensis - Euphorbiaceae and holding them in smoke [coagulated the latex] to produce a water resistant surface- spanish adoped the practice with their hats and cloaks.

http://www.bio.tamu.edu/courses/biol328/lec19.htm

6 Likes

Aside from the immediate danger of boiling my feet in polyvinyl chloride, I’m wondering if there’s also a risk of absorbing VCM, dioxin, and phthalates through the sweat-drenched dilated pores on my feet. The article I read says that VCM is no longer emitted once a PVC product is completely manufactured, but if you’re boiling PVC and then dipping your feet in it, where does that put you?

1 Like

And another thing–I think this is a really neat idea, and a clever design product. I don’t want to be such a hater, but I have big reservations on account of, you know, PVC. I would really like to try a product like this, but only after it’s been on the market for ten years and we are certain it isn’t going to cause the zombie apocalypse.

200? no try 300c! :frowning: From the Article -
*This prototype is using PVC, which hardens at 200~300 degrees Celsius (392~572 degrees Fahrenheit).

My guess is that the product must involve creating a mold of your feet using something like plaster of paris. Then making fake feet using that mold and then dipping them in the molten PVC to make the shoe.

And the end result is a shoe that doesn’t breath at all, has little arch support, and probably wears out quickly due to lack of soles. If you love shitty plastic shoes, just buy some crocs–at least they won’t make your house smell like melted PVC.

2 Likes

Sounds like a (not very environmentally friendly) solution looking for a problem to solve. Buy yourself some moccasins.

1 Like

The Future is Here!

Behold! We have re-invented the moccasin! Now with twice the garishness, and only a quarter of the comfort and practicality!

1 Like

Wearing fancy shoes!

Seriously, walk a mile in his fondue-slippers first, okay?

1 Like

I would do things like pour it over inanimate objects “Maker’s Mark-style” for some sort of effect. Maybe remove the object and keep the PVC. I’m sure it could have some weird, decorative / art function.

I read that as:[quote]
This prototype is using PVC
[/quote]
but the finished product won’t.

2 Likes

Hmm, this could work with something like Shapelock. The downside is that it would melt on hot pavement, and your shoes would be hard as rocks and not have great traction. Maybe mold on some Sugru soles?

Overall, this sounds like a whole lot of work and nontrivial cost for something that’s likely to be inferior to a boring old sneaker.