"For Sale"

Can’t you do better than that? Really? You ever been to Detroit?

1 Like

Motivated seller.

2 Likes

Yes. Yes. Yes.

It’s actually kind of interesting to look online at sites like Zillow and see how cheap an entire house with garage goes for in Detroit. Seriously, for like $1000 and paying some back property taxes, one can be a property owner for the price of a junk car. Of course you will have to deal with the neighbors and a really slow response time from the police department, and you got to figure how to make a living in that area. It’s not the land of milk and honey.

Then, by all means - do better!

Alright, the tornado did $1,500,000 worth of improvements

1 Like

I’m disappointed. We did have a lot of rain last night, but nope…sorry…the only improvements such a storm might bring is if they swept the entire city government away to Oz (not Australia - I wouldn’t wish that upon them!) or Neverland, or Somewhere Else.

They weren’t kidding when they said that prices in that area would go through the roof.

4 Likes

When I first saw the house, I could swear it was from Lawrenceville, where I grew up, but maybe it’s in Garfield? You said it was right next to Lawrenceville. Yes, that’s a very up-and-coming neighborhood, not at all the way it was back in the 60s or 70s, when I was there. My mom’s house, which sold about 15 years ago for $15,000, is now on the market for $250,000. Very trendy but not retail-friendly area now. Lots of tony restaurants moving in, lots of galleries, but little to keep people walking around, say, the way South Side does.

Yeah it’s the house on Brides Row in Pittsburgh. They were all boarded up but had potential I think. The coldwell banker sign was there well before the fire took place, they just didn’t remove it afterward. I was sorry to see it burn. Here’s a google street view of what it looked liked before the fire:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.464785,-79.934565&spn=0.003747,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.464775,-79.934457&panoid=6U0uN2aQhknrcfczEvbt0w&cbp=12,341.78,,0,-4.15

was that on boingboing where I saw the article about people stealing bricks from abandoned buildings in st louis? Kinda looks like that.

Half Off!

2 Likes

People who have decided that Detroit represents everything wrong with the US or the only possible place in the US that could be suffering urban decay will not have thier minds changed by any of us 5M area residents.

Anyhoo, howdy from Washtenaw County!

1 Like

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cheryl-moch/this-summer-we-vacationed_b_3977669.html This might do it, LOL! Howdy from Macomb County! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ripping out the highways (with their high walls, to protect white suburbanites from ever having to see a poor black community) to allow neighborhoods to be neighborhoods again was an excellent suggestion in that article. Detroit is kind of a microcosm of how our entire country is going: the haves being physically separated from the have-nots, no matter how much it eviscerates an entire area.

That part of the article confused me, as I’m not sure what high walls she’s talking about, or what highways she’s talking about. There are walls in the suburbs along some parts of the Interstates 696, 75, and 94. But in the city limits…heck, seems like everyone, no matter what color, is a have-not! And the places in city limits where there are actually “haves” there are no highways/freeways. I mean, the only other walls I can think of are those along the highways/freeways that run below the surface streets…and there’s a lot of poor black, white, yellow, and every color in between living in the suburbs that border Detroit, except for Grosse Pointes, as well (and there are no highways that run through any of them). Like I said, I’m not sure what she’s talking about.

the article doesn’t mention walls, @chgoliz has imagined them. though, yes, highways do split local traffic and eliminate foot traffic (a pet peeve of mine in any city.) but in Detroit, they’re also the only way any money gets into the city from the metro area. Tearing them up before any new growth gets started guarantees failure on that front.

Growing up, I ping-ponged between Ann Arbor and 12/Greenfield until leaving MI permanently. The DIA ruined me for museums. That collection is on par with the best in our nation, and it was just my local as a kid. I’m angry and dismayed it might be sold.

the author complains that there wasn’t enough motown tourist stuff, so I can’t figure out why she didn’t visit the Motown museum. She wanted cars and didn’t go to Greenfield Villiage? It’s as if she did absolutely no research at all, yet she found a bunch of urban gardens online?

But honestly, that was a good article overall. Thanks for the link, LG!

1 Like

It’s the physical attribute I remember most from my one visit many years ago for a conference. Any time I was being taken between venues that required driving through Detroit rather than around it, the highways we took had high walls and virtually no local exits. It was quite clear (and I was told as much by the organizers) that it was done to separate the populations.

I’m glad you liked it, noahdjango! I wasn’t sure whether it did mention them or not - it DID mention tearing up the highways, but no walls. So I don’t know where chgoliz got that from. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Yes, she went to Cranbrook but not Greenfield Village? At least Dearborn borders Detroit. And I wonder if she found any retail stores that sell “Made in Detroit” merchandise.

1 Like

The highways/freeways here were originally called “ditches” (I don’t remember whether it was I-75 or I-94 that was called that first), so there are going to be walls alongside them. “Many years ago” - how many? I can’t think of ANY of them - I-75, I-94, I-96, (the latter I forgot about when I posted earlier), as well as US-10, that don’t have local exits. I-96 has both local and express lanes; the others are all local. Oh yeah, and the Southfield Freeway. I’d be really interested in knowing just where you were, and what “organizers” told you it was done to separate the populations. If there were a wall, it would be along M-102 - the infamous Eight Mile Road that separates the north of Wayne County (which is not all Detroit, believe it or not) from Macomb and Oakland counties.