Freebird guitar solo, isolated

[Permalink]

1 Like

No offense meant to Skynard fans (who should know that the title is ā€œFree Birdā€), but hereā€™s a pair of kick-ass hard blues soloists doing call-and-response where the mixdown has already sifted through the solo tracks and panned them hard left and right to really accentuate the parts. [dur.8:20]

Soon as I heard it I reached for my lighter.

3 Likes

No offense meant to you either, who should know that itā€™s spelled Skynyrd not ā€œSkynardā€ and the title on the original single is ā€œFreebird.ā€

4 Likes

Isolating it is a necessary first step to killing it.

2 Likes

Uh, Southern man? Take a lesson from a master:

Iā€™ve always liked the ā€˜one noteā€™ solo in DOWN BY THE RIVER precisely because so much is done with a single note. The theme of the solo is how much you can do with one note, a pattern which it keeps returning to.

1 Like

I enjoyed that, but I prefer my ā€˜one notesā€™ in samba form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbL9vr4Q2LU

Wups ā€“ not being a fan, I really should have checked the spelling. I knew the single had been released with the one-word title, but Iā€™d always figured that was just a similar snafu to The Byrdsā€™ erroneously titled i[/i] album.

To give the South its due:

1 Like

hearing it isolated like this, all those repeated phrases are making me think of Indian music and my mind is filling it in with tabla and djembe rhythms. how long until @xeniā€™s brother remixes this?

1 Like

Pretty boring solo really. To me this is like the VHS of Skynyrd songs. There were so many Betamax ones but this is the one that they choose to play completely to death.

This is one of the most pointless solos to isolate, since the whole point of it is the rhythmic counterpoint to the drums.

2 Likes

Uggghhhhh. Sounds like two old record players using the same set of speakers.

Skynyrd was probably more conscious of the comparison to Steely Danā€™s early work with Jeff Baxter and Denny Diaz dueting being some kind of gold standard of the moment. It is amazing how similar all this music sounds now. Then it all seemed miles apart.

More video from when guitar giants roamed the earth;

also a view of what rock looked like before MTV.

There is a ton of intentional distortion going on there. It almost forms a second melody at some points. The legacy of Jimi Hendrix.

20 or so years later and dual guitars evolved to a high art in Belew and Frippā€™s King Crimson.

Now the giants sit in the dark so as not to frighten the crowd:

Notice Frippā€™s impeccable technique combined with unusual restraint for a rock guitarist.

1 Like

Well, thereā€™s my problem. Never been a fan of Hendrix or distortion-style sound, I prefer my music ā€œcleanā€. For me, Dick Dale is king of guitar magic. Not meaning to be anti-social or disrespectful in this thread (I did come here out of sincere interest), but Freebird always bored me.

Itā€™s shit, mate, but a cultural touchstone like few others. I canā€™t even explain why it became so synonymous with arena rock and the lighter tribute. It did though, and so we pay it some respect out of admiration for that odd feat.

Distortion is the musical equivalent of expressionistic art. Dark and harsh to match a dark and harsh world. I get tremendous satisfaction from well played distortion. Musicians, especially classically trained, have a hard time with anything that challenges the values inherent in the skill set they took so many years to acquire. It is too bad, really, because change happens.

I did not think your comment was anti-social.