Galaxies revolve around other galaxies

[Permalink]

Is it just me, or is it not fricken’ obvious that any set of bodies in space (within a certain distance) will begin to move towards each other and, because of their other velocity vectors, will ‘miss colliding’ and begin to orbit, maybe eventually collide? Bueller?

2 Likes

No, I think most galaxies are nailed to the sky. It’s just the little ones that are free to revolve.

1 Like

That’s not what the article is questioning. Maybe read it first.

Fractal universe :slight_smile: electrons orbit nucleus; moons orbit planets; Klingons orbit Uranus; planets orbit stars; stars orbit galactic centers; little galaxies orbit big galaxies; galaxies orbit each other;

1 Like

This is what I thought too, before reading the article. After reading the article, I realized I have NO FUCKING IDEA what they are talking about. But that’s ok. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Help me out here.

This may indicate that planes of co-rotating satellites, similar to those seen around the Andromeda galaxy, are ubiquitous, and their coherent motion suggests that they represent a substantial repository of  angular momentum on scales of about 100 kiloparsecs.

The satellite galaxies which orbit their parent galaxy (is ‘orbit’ incorrect?) are rotating around a plane, the orientation of which is matched by other satellite galaxies distributed in the near universe where the orbital plane of the galaxies themselves are not necessarily so co-oriented?

Does this mean that actual galaxies that are entrained and/or falling into one another would exhibit co-rotational behaviour, oriented along the same plane?

If so I may need to sit down for a while. I mean. That can’t be it. Surely. Wow.

Rules of the Universe:

1. Be attractive
  2. Don’t be unattractive.
  3. Orbit

So, if I understood the article correctly, if one of a pair of these dwarf galaxies ever escapes the larger systems, you might get to say that there was dwarf tossing?

1 Like

That’s pretty much it in a nutsack.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.