Game Of Thrones picks up as the Lannisters cope with apparent victory [TV Recap: season 4, episode 1]

[Permalink]

Watched the old episodes… more walking than a Roger Corman movie.

1 Like

…

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

2 Likes

I kinda wish BB wouldn’t post this stuff. The title gives away a tiny bit of info to those who haven’t seen it yet.

We can guess that it has been telegraphed that Cercie’s vow to leave Tyrion with “only the taste of ashes” means that Shae is not long for this world.

The “apparent victory” was apparent by the end of last season, w/ Stannis defeated at the Blackwater and Robb and Catelyn murdered at The Twins. The headline is giving absolutely nothing new away other than that (SPOILERS!!!) you will probably see some Lannisters.

6 Likes

BoingBoing, please stop posting reviews of episodes I haven’t seen yet. Often the title and pictures give spoilers. People who haven’t seen the episode yet (mostly) don’t want spoilers. People who have seen the episode already know what happened.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of the books – I enjoyed them the first time I read them, and I’ve been enjoying them more once I found forums where people are doing close readings of the text. I’ve been trying to save watching the show for when my partner agrees to watch it with me, but I’ve begun to despair of ever persuading her to.

I agree. Please at least wait 24 hours so that those of us not in the US have a chance to get a copy of the episode to our locations…

How far south will the Wildings go before they take off their damn parkas? Given that they seem to seem to live on a glacier (how?), they should have stripped to loin cloths as soon as they got out of the snow. Or is that going to be like Dales crossbow?

1 Like

Part of the reason the Wildlings are headed south is because it’s getting colder, because

winter is coming.

2 Likes

poor, now nameless slave Theon Greyjoy.

He does have a name, his name is Reek, it rhymes with weak.

Interestingly the books leave Theon after he’s captured by Ramsey the Bastard, and then after a long while there’s a new POV character who lives in a dungeon, has half his fingers missing, and is called Reek and has clearly been horribly tortured for a long time.
When you first realise who Reek was/is, well, it’s more of a shock than watching Alfie Allen getting bits chopped off. Especially as Theon wasn’t a particularly sympathetic character up until that point.

1 Like

The title of the post reveals nothing and neither does the post description (which has the first word being “Spoilers”). If you don’t want spoilers, don’t read the post.

4 Likes

I haven’t been watching the show, but my assumption from looking at the photo is that this is the episode where she catches him totally looking at her boobs.

1 Like

A Storm of Swords is the third of seven planned novels in A Song of Ice and Fire, a fantasy series by American author George R. R. Martin. It was first published on 8 August 2000 in the United Kingdom, with a United States edition following in November 2000.
(Wikipedia)

WTF you’ve had more than 13 years. Even if you only got interested in the books after the first TV series aired (like me) how can you not have read them all yet? There comes a point when protecting people from spoilers in a story becomes a ridiculous knee-jerk habit instead of a thoughtful act of kindness.

Spoiler alert: Hamlet dies in the last scene; Gollum falls into Mount Doom with the ring; Beowulf pulls Grendel’s arm off. So sue me : )

5 Likes

No! How could you?!?! /sobs

2 Likes

As long as no one spoils Sir Gawain and the Green Knight for me, we’ll be cool

2 Likes

[SPOILER for the end of *A Storm of Swords*]

Shae continues to be the most obnoxious character on the show…

I remember watching Shae & Tyrion in the Season 2 finale (immediately after the Battle of Blackwater Bay) and thinking, “They’re going to have to commit some screenwriting crimes if this relationship resolves anywhere close to they way it does in the books.”

So the Internet should refrain from discussion of something until you’ve seen it. That’s reasonable.

8 Likes

I’ve been happy with how the show ties up its “deviations” from the text, such as condensing Gendry’s character. It’s also pretty clear that they’re setting up Shae’s fate to be less sudden than in the books.

And yes, if you REALLY want to experience this first hand, there’s a book that’s more vivid and lifelike that’s easily available in many, many ways. No need to wait for HBO to wrap up an artificial “season” format.

1 Like