Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

[Permalink]

1 Like

Somewhere Bruce Banner is trying very hard to not get angry.

15 Likes

Iā€™m not surprised that gamergate supporters are so delusional they donā€™t know the vivian james hoodie was specifically chosen to reference the daily dose. /v/ was pretty happy with it when they made it and didnā€™t hide the association at all.

6 Likes

I think saying ā€œthey might not know itā€ is giving them too little credit. The lulz run deep over there.

3 Likes

Wait, now I canā€™t use purple and green together without triggering someone?!? This is going to make the Hulk sad.

6 Likes
13 Likes

actually itā€™s about ethics in games journalism; the most honest and trustworthy sources on the internetā€“youtubers, breitbart and anonymous forum and twitter userā€“told me so with their enlightening imgur memes

10 Likes

This is the stupidest charge anyone could come up with for criticizing Gamergate. If you think itā€™s a rape joke, you ought to feel bad. Objectively, purple, green, and blue contribute to what is known as an analogous color scheme, something intended to promote harmony and calmnessā€“and is contrasted by the red hair of the character nicely. Indeed, it looks like they lifted Vivianā€™s mode of dress from Zooey Deschanel

Source 1: What Would Zooey Deschanel Wear: Horizontally Striped Pullover
Source 2: What Would Zooey Deschanel Wear: Purple and Green Combined
Source 3: [What Would Zooey Deschanel Wear: Purple, Green, and Jeans] (Omitted to new user restrictions)

11 Likes

@beschizza Does this mean that Wicked Witch is also referencing this rape joke? The witch has green hair, a green broom, and has a purple gown: http://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/72999.jpg

2 Likes

Okay, so how do we help these particular self-identified ā€˜gamersā€™ feel some sense of control in their own lives, because that is probably the only solution to the childish rape jokes and the impotent threats.

3 Likes

The funny thing is how I included in the post the fact that gamergaters, rather than dealing with the fact they once again got pre-trolled by 4chan, instead began invoking the innocent use of purple and green to handwave away the circumstances of this particular use of purple and green.

Context: itā€™s like magicā€¦

32 Likes

#CLIFF NOTES VERSION:

Purple+Green combo by somebody who never breathed 4chan daily: coincidence

Purple+Green combo by VJ/GG designer-creators who lived and breathed 4chan daily for years: not coincidence ā€¦ or they all got hit on the head and suffered meme-specific collective retrograde amnesia.

32 Likes

Itā€™s almost as if gators were as predictable as a fucking hourglass.

5 Likes

I maintain there would be significantly less nerdrage involved if this were true

2 Likes

As a comic reader and not a 4Chan user (or, obviously, GamerGate supproter), all I think of is:
Hulk
Joker
Lex Luthor
Green Goblin
She-Hulk

Add in just green OR purple and, well, that list explodes.

Weā€™ve all got our in-jokes. Every time that song ā€œCounting Starsā€ comes on in a public place I have a moment of disbelief before I remember that the reason why it shouldnā€™t be played in public is known only to about twenty or thirty people in the entire world. But if I were the one to decide to include that in a piece of art, it would be fair for a friend of mine to point out the intent.

2 Likes

Just decide to go with the coincidence variant, it will make it easier for everybody.

Green, White, and Purple were the colours of the Suffragette movementā€¦ The purple was for dignity the white was for purity and the green was for hope. Thatā€™s what I saw in the logo.

Maybe thatā€™s not the first thing that comes to a gamergate supporterā€™s mind. But it is still so.

3 Likes

I hope itā€™s not me being utterly weird but the controller is clearly intentionally sexual (doggy style and rapey). The colour scheme is a detail.

5 Likes

Behold: The Incredible Sulk.

4 Likes