George Zimmerman: I am a victim, a fallen soldier, Christlike

When I read this, I did a double take. I presume @beschizza wrote it, but I can’t take the time just now to watch the entire interview to see if it is an unattributed quote or a satirical misquote.

On the principal of benefit of the doubt, I’m going with the assumption this is intended to be snark, or sarcasm, or… something. I’m really kind of baffled, but going with snark as a working hypothesis.

Whatever the intention, the remark seems to have missed the mark.

7 Likes

and again we feed the media trolls. Not to mention I’d think in a ‘rational’ society we don’t wish the deaths of others, but hey, I guess I’m not as rational as others…

9 Likes

Zimmerman’s making a rather large presumption, isn’t he? He assumes that he’ll meet the Lord when he dies – but if he’s heading downstairs rather than upstairs (and both killing [Exodus 20:13] and taking the name of the Lord thy God in vain by calling yourself “Christlike” [Exodus 20:7] seem to be conducive to downstairs movement) he may not get the chance.

2 Likes

Perhaps Rob is using his ‘rational society’ comment as a way of pinpointing the dangers of relying on any philosophical system of thought as unquestionable, including rationality. It’s a tool. You need the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy and the pentacle of valor as well as the sword of reason not to fall into Chapel Perilous. Fnord.

2 Likes

Excellent point! Gödel’s second incompleteness theorem observed in the wild.

Respect to you for that interpretation :smile:

I still would like to hear Rob elaborate on the statement, if it was in fact he who wrote it.

3 Likes

Could you perhaps point out the flame or flamebait in Obama’s actual words on the subject?

5 Likes

“If I had a son, he would look like Treyvon”

In other words “My fellow Americans, this man murdered the son of the President of The United States of America”

If that’s not flame bait, I don’t know what is.

2 Likes

My, what a self-serving interpretation of Obama’s words you have made there. But if obtuse misreading is a legitimate argumentative step for you, by all means go to it – we’ll watch.

8 Likes

Zimmerman is a big believer in innocent until proven guilty in a court of law for shooters. On the street for a black kid wearing a hoodie? Not so much.

12 Likes

Christ, if you’re going to use some crazy right wing talking point, at least do it right.

The complaint is that line makes it sound like Obama was calling Zimmerman a racist, which is apparently racism on the part of the President.

Not that he has personally fathered all black men in the country.

5 Likes

Zimmerman was portrayed as white because if people realized that he was actually a mestizo Hispanic, the entire story would have been nothing but a mere statistic. Kind of like how if Obama was presented as biracial/white, he probably wouldn’t have had as much notoriety as being the first “black” president.

Either way, Zimmerman might be an interesting “one drop rule” for whites and hispanics, though I’m sure it was just for dem ratings.

Although it goes without saying that Zimmerman doesn’t have any “white privilege” because he looks nothing like a typical American white man.

Why is he still talking and why is anyone listening? Go on with your life and shut the fuck up, George.

3 Likes

Christlike as in “Christ, what an asshole.”?

11 Likes

To be fair, I find myself choosing the “non-hispanic caucasian” or “non-hispanic white” box in plenty of forms.

4 Likes

If that’s not flame bait, I don’t know what is.

Yes, you definitely dropped some flame bait there. Agreed. I like pie.

1 Like

Ever notice how much conservatives love political correctness, I mean they are eternally outraged that someone hasn’t said something in precisely the right way to avoid offending them (which doesn’t seem possible). Not to mention playing the race card.

4 Likes

A mirror will straighten your confusion right out, Alice

I’m of the opinion that Ole Rob is a sure clever writer, but sometimes I feel like he is too clever by half for my tendency towards bald statements.

This time, though I think I grok him.

A rational society would kill George Zimmerman or give him a reality show.

I interpret this Beschizzism turns not on “rational” but on the options. That is, both of the options presented (viz., capital punishment OR veneration) are so far from the mean that they could never be considered “rational.” And yet, those who support Zimmerman and those who demonize him tend to gravitate toward those poles, while a more moderate position which might look like" well, we can’t prove pre-meditation, but surely this could be manslaughter" becomes lost among the din.

2 Likes

You know the big controversial court case involving the shooting of Trayvon Martin? He’s the shooter.

1 Like

Complaining about “political correctness” is just a way to make upholding the worst parts of the status quo sound rebellious and noble

2 Likes