Goldieblox vs. Beasties vs. Goldieblox, continued

I think that the idea of pinkwashing toys is really a simple solution to another problem altogether.

I was in the same class in high school as the lead flight coordinator for the Mars Rover program. How come he is a PhD in engineering and I work in engineering but never even considered that as a degree at the same age he had his future all mapped out?

Even though I had a lot of friends in college who were engineering majors, I never once thought, “Hey, that could be for me,” even though I was at the time spending 40 hours a week at the television production studio learning how to cable up a/v equipment just for fun.

I didn’t know a single engineer when I was in high school or as a kid. I was involved in computer programming, yes, but I already knew that I didn’t want to do that as a career or a major.

To me, yeah, toys are good but there is a lot of other issues involved with getting girls involved in engineering. A lot of men in this field are either a) so nerdy they can’t speak to women or b) so family oriented that they kind of divide genders into girls and boys really strongly. I like the people but since they can afford to have wives stay home with kids, they tend to see women as moms and daughters, not co-workers. We really need the male engineers to reach out to their daughters and push them into the field the way they do their sons, IMHO.

1 Like

Not really. The band made it’s name sampling small portions of other songs which at the time had not yet been established in law to be a copyright violation.

Here is a recent article about “STEM toys”. To me, the Roominate toy looks a lot more interesting.

1 Like

Apparently satire is lost on you.

I would say there’s a very very very big difference between taking a song whole hog and putting it in a commercial (e.g. any iTunes commercial) and someone creating a similar, but different song and using that in a commercial.

“We could certainly argue that some tools are really designed for men”

I wonder if you can’t really defend the tools comment without resorting to stereotyping. For example, tools made for big rugged hands aren’t made for dudes with small delicate hands, but work great for women with big callused mitts. But perhaps you mean something else?

Yeah, I’m no expert. D and E are most likely boilerplate. The judge is not required to award costs just because the lawyers ask them to. And anyway, nobody ever got rich by this route, except maybe the lawyers :slight_smile:

I’ll concede the point that neither side has been completely reasonable.

Condoms? No, wait, there’s a female condom. I’ve got nothing.

Prostate probes?

Cute. :smiley: Of course, transmen, transwomen, and intersex persons muddy even that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.