Google acquires robotics firm Boston Dynamics

Of course there will be driver incompatibility issues, too…

5 Likes

Seriously. Daniel Suarez wrote Daemon and Freedom TM as speculative fiction and as a cautionary tale- NOT a how-to manual.

Unfortunately, their traditional investigation methods are useless against Sobol’s Daemon program. The Daemon anticipates every move, seemingly one step ahead of anyone who tries to interfere with its operation.
The program takes over thousands of companies and provides financial and computing resources for creating AutoM8s (computer controlled driverless cars, used as transport and occasionally as weapons), Razorbacks (sword-wielding robotic riderless motorcycles, specifically designed as weapons) and other devices.

_Daemon

The sequel picks up shortly after the end of Daemon. Sobol’s distributed AI has already infiltrated the computer systems of companies and many governments. While the Daemon is a technological creation, much of the work is carried out by human beings - compelled by the Daemon to change the world according to the vision of Matthew Sobol. Connected by the “Darknet”, these human followers create their own ranking system and economy. Meanwhile, the American political and economic system is collapsing, with the price of fuel and the unemployment rates both skyrocketing, and steady reports of violent drug gangs crossing the border from Mexico.

_Freedom TM

Watch for Google to hire Loki Stormbringer. I mean FFS, the Google armada is being outfitted in exactly the same location Suarez used for the Razorback attack.

I just watched a YouTube (Google) video, about Boston Dynamics (Google) with ads by Google as well.

2 Likes

Makes me want to watch Screamers again…

1 Like

At least now when the cold, relentless hand of Our Roboverlords closes around us, it will know our search preferences.

1 Like

THIS. IS. A. DECISION. TREE. PUNY HU-MAN. NOW. WHERE. DO. YOU. WANT. THE. SEARCH-PROBE. INSERT-ED?

(obligatory lower-case goes here)

Xeni, we survived CANCER! there will be no pants-crapping over robots. :stuck_out_tongue: in my mind? I see you leaping off a flying unicorn to dragon kick the google-bot back to Mt. View. Be STRONG in the face of the robot-overlord-wanna-bes

1 Like

4 Likes
3 Likes

[ Google Search ][ Google Search + Destroy new!][ I’m Feeling Lucky ][ I’m NOT Feeling Lucky ][ Search My Feelings ]

7 Likes

Original and best.

1 Like

But has it seen things you people wouldn’t believe?

3 Likes

No. They aren’t building Skynet because that is AI research. Some other company will do that. Boston Dynamics will just be the contractor that builds the Terminators.

Edit: And in case you think I was joking about Terminators, you can watch what in the future will be the first 5 minutes of a Terminator documentary here. The last minute will terrify you.

They really have said “fuck it” to the whole “don’t be evil” thing, haven’t they? There’s just no way around it, unless they plan to radically re-purpose everything that Boston Dynamics makes, and I don’t see that happening…

3 Likes

I’m thinking that one of Boston Dynamic’s death robots combined with DARPA’s flesh eating propulsion system would just about be perfect.

2 Likes

What’s to say Google isn’t building the skynet AI in house?

Given the name of the company “Boston Dynamics” can we have Walter Bishop and William Bell will be running the company… I can see it now: “Black Blotter Fridays are now company policy”.

3 Likes

Won’t actually be a driver though. Gunner.

“tell me if you saw one of these things running after you, you wouldn’t crap your pants and have a heart attack at the same time.”

Indeed. In the short term, humanity’s best hope in dealing with these is an adult diaper and an implanted defibrillator.

1 Like

And that is basically how I imagined the dogs looking when I read the book, except with more of a head/face. Between this, everyone walking around with earbuds, and wall-size televisions, and the anti-intellectualism of our politicians, we’re almost there.

1 Like