Granny & Shady Lady: When “craft” crosses the line

Behold! An artist’s figure used back in the day, to be dressed in fabrics, so the living model could go home.

Not the characters I’d choose, but I like them. When I was a kid we made a life size and rather realistic skeleton man dressed as an old hippie, and a large intimidating figure with a set of recorded sayings that responded to a motion detector, which we’d set out on Halloween. Always was a kick for the less timid kids…

Those were a lot creepier than these, and when it wasn’t in season it was a laugh to see them lounging around in the garage or attic (or some times my father would set the skeleton character up in his old '47)…

I’m not really crazy about dolls in general, but I don’t see what’s wrong with these other than the character choices seem strange (the old lady perhaps reminds me of Psycho, and I’m not really sure why one would want a life size prostitute but why the hell not?)

If I saw life size dolls that some one had actually MADE in their house I’d probably be intrigued. Ok, I admit I’m a weird person… but frankly it’s better than some boring ass floral painting from IKEA and a big screen TV. I might ask the person if they had human remains in them, but that’s because there’s something really wrong with me and also… I’d be curious.

Anyway I’m pretty sure the reason for creating a large life size doll like this for most people is to get a laugh or reaction out of people. But honestly, if they are some kind of body pillow who am I to judge?

It crosses the line if it doesn’t have a tie-in to a Hollywood franchise or faddish aesthetic movement. Devoting your free time to creating elaborate creepy characters that aren’t property of Lucasfilm?? Insanity!

2 Likes

Pantyhose has been a great material for wrapping foam puppets used for stop motion animations. I don’t understand why any material should be vilified like this on a site so dedicated to the process of making. If these specific projects provoke such a disgusted reaction, I think the article should investigate other examples of pantyhose puppets. The author might find some projects that would encourage making, as opposed to dissuading people from exploring new crafts.

1 Like

My friend and I were shooting at a strip mine when we found a life sized fiber filled Santa in his red suit. We sat him in a chair and blasted him with 44 magnums, but it rather unsatisfying. But we also found some unopened cans of creamed corn, and those provided much better explosions.

Bad sexual experience maybe?

Genius!! Carpool lane here I come! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.