Grateful Dead concert sells out in minutes

[Permalink]

I’m wondering if that gif might be problematic for people prone to seizures. For my part, it’s giving me a headache.

5 Likes

Also, for people on acid.

2 Likes
2 Likes

15,000 for a 3 day ticket? Not even if they have a holographic Jerry Garcia.

4 Likes

I’m humbled and honored to be included in the list of people disappointed in Boing Boing, and I’d like to thank all the little people who made it possible, etc., etc.

But to my main point…

It’s likely that at least some readers of Boing Boing suffer from epilepsy. A small percentage of people with epilepsy have photosensitive epilepsy, in which flashing lights can trigger seizures. There is a W3C standard for this kind of thing: http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/seizure-does-not-violate.html

I’m an old editor, not a doctor, so I don’t know if that gif is big enough or flashy enough to cause a seizure. But there is a standard, and I’d like all Boing Boing readers to be as happy and as seizure-free as I usually am.

Thanks for listening.

3 Likes
1 Like

They don’t make those drugs any longer.

1 Like

Not even if they have the real Jerry Garcia

1 Like

get a [high-paying] job, hippie!

2 Likes

And people think Disneyland ticket is expensive.

Ain’t the Dead without Jerry.

Still going.

Fair enough.

I loved me some Jerry. His guitar, his voice, that envelope filter were the reason I went on tour in the 80’s. For me, it wasn’t the same without him. I went to some shows after, saw Phil and Bobby do their things, and musically they were wonderful. But it wasn’t the same.

Never will be the same…

Sold out in minutes…just like it used to do in the latter years of the Dead.

I dunno about seizures, but it was TRIPPING ME OUT, man!

Seriously, stare at it for a while and it’s like it’s just getting bigger and bigger and bigger and OMG IT’S TAKING OVER THE UNIVERSE…

Edited to add: I’m also disappointed that I have not made the list of people disappointed in BoingBoing yet. I’ll have to work harder at that.

1 Like

I cannot begin to tell you how hard I have tried to onto that list. It is mighty exclusive, congrats!

In other news.

I, anecdotally and not in any way scientific, was once felled by a videotape done on one speed, with an underlying timecode done at another. This was back in 1990, and I dimly recall that we had to lay down a timecode over the whole tape at a specific speed, then go back to lay down the actual video. And my friends changed speed. Any the rolling blinking abomination in the corner of my eye felled me like a tree. I had a headache for a few hours, as well.

Other than that, blinkies have never affected me.

It did inspire me to make a tape the same way and plan on presenting it as my class-project, but I let my girlfriend talk me out of it. I regret that. Just as well, it would also have involved me taking off my clothes while chanting “video does not need to be exposed.”

Welcome to the losers club. We’re pretty disappointed to see you here. Just not enough, apparently. Have a seat over there. There’s complementary cold coffee in the urn for $0.50.

With that GIF, and archive.org, why pay thousands?

Out on the Grapvine today,
I saw a DEADHEAD GIF on a Go Westy
A little voice inside my head said,
“Don’t look back. You can never look back”

https://vimeo.com/38296751

1 Like