Great advice from Marshall McLuhan: “Read only the right-hand page of serious books”

[Permalink]

1 Like

Interesting - there are some websites I navigate with just my right-hand.

7 Likes

What absolute bollocks.

4 Likes

Although I am “right Handed”, I primairaly pick my nose with my left hand. I think I may be related to that guy?

4 Likes

That is a very clever idea. I don’t think I can actually bring myself to do it, but I do find the most insightful books on topics are usually geared towards experts in the field, and spend so much time exhaustively providing evidence or argument to support a point I’m willing to just accept on their word. They never seem to discuss an important point in less than 3 pages, so it seems like you could avoid missing anything important this way.

But I have trouble not finishing a book I’m barely tolerating, so I don’t think I have it in me to butcher the author’s treatise like that.

3 Likes

Both the right and the left bollocks?

6 Likes

McLuhan is also great for ending arguments in movie lines.

4 Likes

This guy is so full of crap. Everyone knows you should only read the left page of serious books.

7 Likes

That reminds me of a euphemism for erotica I learned in my 18th Century Lit class: “books to be read with only one hand”.

4 Likes

Just read the last paragraph and fill in the rest! Much easier that way.

“Great advice”? I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not. This seems like an entertaining thing to do on occasion, but absolutely terrible advice in general - a great way to be misinformed. He’s saying good books are redundant, but implying, contradictorily, that they shouldn’t be.

4 Likes

I think I understood your comment but to save time I only read every other word of it. I’m pretty sure I got the gist. Also, screw nouns. They never add any meaning.

2 Likes

Isn’t he also known for being a bit of a TEDx-style bloviator along the lines of Thomas Friedman? Surely not as bad as the Flattening-er, but it wouldn’t surprise me that he skims “important books” so he can claim to have read more than he would otherwise. Digestion of the knowledge is unnecessary.

An absolute left and an absolute right bollock conjures up an excruciating image.

1 Like

True, true. Why understand the information when one can just make it up in one’s head by skipping every other page - that way one can “improve” the book with one’s own, equally valid interpolated version.

/s

1 Like

What - great ----, I’ve — taken to new and say every word.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.