Great list of classic ambient albums

[Read the post]

1 Like

That’s a good CD, I used to have it. On Land is even better.

1 Like

Not a bad list but why in the hell is Substrata by Biosphere not in there? Should be in the top five imho.

1 Like

Nothing from the FAX +49-69/450464 label either.
Here are a couple of early ones:
Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook - The Dark Side Of The Moog 1
Pete Namlook & Jonah Sharp - A Long And Perilous Voyage (Alien Community 2)

Just about every top 10 list I have seen for the FAX label is different.

Another one from the same era is Deep Space Network - Big Rooms, Instinct Records, 1994

Some selected tracks from Selected Ambient Works are on my baby’s nap mix.

And anyone would think Morton Feldman had never been invented.

They’ve put the wrong Aphex Twin album on there, SAW II is actually ambient (and amazing), SAW 85-92 is more ambient-techno (pretty much every track is beat driven), and still amazing as well of course; and if I had to pick one Orb album it would definitely be Orbus Terrarum.

I’d definitely include “Endless Summer” by Fennesz in any top ten as well, along with “Together is the New Alone” by Donnacha Costello, and “I’m Happy and I’m Singing and a 1, 2, 3, 4” by Jim O’Rourke.

There’s lots of good ambient stuff in Aleksi Perala’s recent Colundi Sequence releases (he’s managed to release 13 albums in the last two years!), it’s quite varied stuff, the last 3-4 of them have been particularly good. https://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/

Been getting into William Basinski recently as well, has been on my backlog for a while, it’s good stuff.

Holly Herndon isn’t even slightly ambient btw, her music is far too hectic.

1 Like

And anyone would think Morton Feldman had never been invented.

Rohtko Chapel is really great.

On Land is great. Have you heard Bang on a Can’s version of Music for Airports?

Yeah, their stuff is great. Also worth a mention is any of Uwe Schmidt’s (Atom Heart) ambient stuff (especially his collaborations with Tetsu Inoue, and Pete Namlook). His discography is pretty daunting though considering the number of releases on there.

1 Like

Sooo glad Orb’s Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is on there. One of my “deserted island” albums.

That’s a fantastic album. I think they performed it at the Dusseldorf Airport a couple years ago.

1 Like

Wot, no Metal Machine Music? I call shenanigans.

1 Like

My favorite is No Pussyfooting from Eno & Fripp. Or is it not ambient enough?

2 Likes

No Robert Fripp at all. That’s sad.

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who thinks Ambient 4: On Land is better.

I think Ambient 1 : Music For Airports is very over-rated, and pales in comparison to pretty much every other Eno ambient recording.

Stars of the Lid.

Any of the albums. Period.

I’d never heard that album before, so I pulled it up on Google Music and listened to it with decent headphones. There was so much hissing and clipping, I thought either something was wrong with my headphones or Google has a bad rip of the album. After Binging it (yeah, deal with it), I found out that the hiss and clipping is in the original recordings and is likely there on purpose. That’s kind of a bummer.

Did Ambient 2 and 3 even exist?