Gweek podcast 129: Bondage Britney!

[Permalink]

boing boing should not support 99 designs or any other spec design work web sites, spec work hurts the design industry and often produces stolen and poorly made art

my wife and i are both self employed graphic designers and multiple times a month we have to send nasty letters to people who are using stolen version of our art as their logos that they thought was custom made for them by spec artists at contest sites

5 Likes

So let me get this straight: we can mock Battleship’s sexist cover for depicting mother and daughter working in the kitchen while dad and son kick back playing games, but it’s cool for “Bondage Britney” to show a stereotype of a scantily-clad woman wielding a whip?

In what way is it a stereotype?

I’m disappointed to see and hear an ad for a spec design site on BB.

3 Likes

It’s fairly dismal to see Boing Boing supporting a spec work site. Sites like 99 Designs are damaging to the design industry as well as individual designers but, you know, so long as you guys got paid that’s great.

1 Like

Uhhh, “painted the above photo”?

You must be new to this planet. I suggest you spend the next few years reading our magazines, looking at our billboards, watching TV, and surfing the Internet, then get back to me if you still have any questions.

Hmm, no, I’ve been here a while. I’m also a woman, a feminist, and I like bondage and pin up fashion. I don’t see how this one particular image is offensive to my gender. But thanks for your detailed explanation, now I totally get it.

Not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic so I’ll add one more clarification on what I was getting at in my original post: the Battleship game box illustration was just as sexist about gender roles as the pin-up image, and yet the former was posted specifically to mock stereotype gender roles while the latter was posted to promote a company.

Personally, I don’t find either particularly offensive, and not because of my gender or sexual orientation. The point wasn’t that either image was offensive, but rather that if someone finds one of the images offensive on the grounds of gender bias, they should logically find the other offensive for the same reason.

Okay, I get you. I suppose I personally find an image that implies that “women are domestic help” to be more offensive than one that implies “women are sex kittens”, but I do see your point.

99Designs: connecting exploitative cheapskates with graphic design needs to the talentless, unscrupulous designers they deserve. I know it’s hard to say no to ad money, but in this case…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.