Hacked Prius powered by electric bus system's overhead lines

[Permalink]

Looks like he’s getting about 1.21 jigawatts into his flux capacitor

4 Likes

April First was yesterday, guys.

6 Likes

The original article WAS posted yesterday, the first of April, after all.

1 Like

By that logic I should be set for a display of comedic styling on the third of August as long as the original article was posted on April 1st.

1 Like

Ah, fooey. You’re probably right. Too bad.

April Fuel!

3 Likes

I remember meeting an old Jewish lady from Kazakhstan I believe and she told us between our combined Yiddish and almost useless Russian how the city she had lived in during Soviet times was wired with trolley power wires for automobiles. I can’t see how that would be practical unless they also had a short hop battery not to mention the economy of scale building trolley cars for one metro area but it seemed like a neat idea.

1 Like

I like this one, also posted on that site yesterday:

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/4720-finally-a-juice-cleanse-for-meat-lovers

http://s3.amazonaws.com/prod.thebolditalic.com/paperclip/article_images/33078/images/three_column/Bloody.jpg

2 Likes

Like many useful ideas, I believe this one was first hatched by Gilbert Shelton.

It would only work as long as you’re going a straight line and never need to pull over or pass.

I was a patrol boy on the corner next one of Chicago’s CTA bus turnaround that the electric buses - converted streetcars - used.

Every single time a bus left and turned the corner the trolley poles would go flapping and the driver would have to come out and go back behind the bus and put them back on the wires. When you were on the bus and it pulled over the same thing would happen. All of the lights would go out and the whirring motor noise would stop until the driver got it plugged back in again.

1 Like

I think today is a perfect day for recapping all of yesterday’s shenanigans. Hop to it, BBB (Beloved BoingBoing).

I think a Kickstarter for a Tesla version of this would do very well in SF.

The ones in SF, at least, are quite resilient. I’ve ridden them several times and never had any problems. They have a lot of flex in the base to accommodate turns and lane changes. Also, the busses (at least some of them) are hybrid, somehow (either a battery or an engine), because some routes are only half on the wires (for that one, the bus driver does have to get out and un/re-hook the poles, but only twice a loop).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.