Hand-crank automata simulates water ripple

[Permalink]

It looks to me like itā€™s being played backwards in that video, if it is meant to be a water ripple.

1 Like

Would somebody competent be willing to make a cropped gif of the sequence after 0:57?

Sorry for being a dickhead and bringing this up again, but ā€œautomataā€ still is a plural.

4 Likes

I hate to use the word ā€˜pretentiousā€™, but it fully applies to this video. The ā€˜mysticalā€™ music and lengthy shots lead to the viewer thinking that the mechanism is somehow confusing, rather than being explanatory and encouraging the viewer to ACTUALLY ā€œadapt, create, deliverā€ as the very briefly screened tagline at the end would imply is the intent.

2 Likes

I was actually expecting a tabletop that oscillated.
Now if somebody would create a full-sized table with leaves in it that moved-up-and down like that, Iā€™d consider it furniture with a real showstopping effect.

Simple and effective. Iā€™d certainly be pleased with it if Iā€™d built it; I wouldnā€™t mind displaying it in my library as a small kinetic artwork.

(Not yet decided how much Iā€™d pay for it, if I saw it in a convention artshow.)

Mildly arousing.

Totally agree. Focusing on all the cams at the beginning is bass-ackwards. The automaton is wonderful; the video presentation does it a disservice.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.