Happy international capslock day

[Permalink]

i, FOR ONE, DON’T SEE A DIFFERENCE. i TYPE THIS WAY EVERY DAY.

2 Likes

ee cummings birthday was last week
why
oh, why
couldn’t capslock day
have fallen then?

6 Likes

THIS HOLIDAY MAKES ME ANGRY AND CONFUSED!

HOW CAN IT NOT FALL DURING NATIONAL EXCLAMATION POINT WEEK?!?!

edit: Apparently the chat system rejects allcaps posts.

3 Likes

Capslock is for right wing troglodytes. We lefties prefer italics.

2 Likes

CapsLock is one of the most important keys on the keyboard.

It is completely disposable and can be therefore reassigned using e.g. AutoHotKey to function as a special key in combination with other keys on the keyboard (e.g. caps-3 does “bring putty to front, send [ctrl-A] [3] keystrokes”, aka “show me terminal #3 on the screen session”). Or enter a string, e.g. your company domain name, that is used often.

The “windows” key can be also used that way.

3 Likes

Since I use a real text editor, I swapped caps lock with my escape key. (I also use the Windows keys as a mode-switch key to get international characters.) But yes, everyone should do Something Else™ with those two keys.

SO, I DON"T HAVE A CAPS LOCK KEY ON MY KEYBOARD. I HAVE TO TYPE MY ALL CAPS POSTS LIKE A MAN BY HOLDING THE SHIFT KEY. I LET EVERYONE KNOW THIS BY JUST USING DOUBLE QUOTES INSTEAD OF APOSTROPHE"S.

I GUESS I CANNOT CELEBRATE TODAY"S MOMENTUS HOLIDAY.

1 Like

They lean the wrong way, though.

3 Likes

I use a Unix-style keyboard (Sun Type 6 USB) so it has control and caps lock swapped relative to most keyboards. Instead of a “Windows” key, it has a “Meta” key (indicated by a square/diamond), which I’ve remapped to escape (and can press with my thumb). It also has dedicated Alt Graph (mode-switch) and Compose keys for international characters. It also has a number of other quirks that I’ve reversed (though I’m sure some people like them).

1 Like

<Khassaki> HI EVERYBODY!!!
<Judge-Mental> try pressing the the Caps Lock key
<Khassaki> O THANKS!!! ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO WRITE NOW!!!
<Judge-Mental> fuck me

http://bash.org/?835030

5 Likes

I remapped my Caps Lock key to a Compose key so I have easy access to foreign characters.

I am obviously a left-wing elitist.

1 Like

My grandma married a foreign character.

bazinga

2 Likes

Not sure what a “real” text editor is. Since I use emacs, I mapped capsLock to control.

1 Like

I ᴘʀᴇғᴇʀ sᴍᴀʟʟᴄᴀᴘs, ᴍʏsᴇʟғ.

Hᴏᴡ ɪs FɪʟᴍCʀɪᴛHULK ᴀᴄᴋɴᴏᴡʟᴇᴅɢɪɴɢ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ?

Italics and boldface are much more sincere and sensitive.

1 Like

Astute observation: this vital keyboard real estate is valuable because it’s so useless people can reconfigure it to suit their own needs.

I have AutoHotKey for CapsLock, and only for CapsLock.

Old school Unix keyboards are awesome, but rare. I have a Das Keyboard with the quiet(er) switches and no labels. It’s only fault is having a default PC layout. (And I don’t fully remap it to a more traditional layout, because, well, I grew up on commodity hardware, and rewiring my brain isn’t worth it at this point… I have a blank keyboard and I use the extended keys occasionally without any trouble. There’s a lot to remap.)

I assumed he meant one that’s generally not used except by middle-aged computer scientists.

1 Like

Makes sense that you wouldn’t know what a real text editor is. :wink:

2 Likes

Please. I’m a 30-something sysadmin, and incurable Linux nerd.

1 Like