Haunted by a lack of young voter support, Hillary advertises on the AOL login screen

Well, while I really, really, really want Sanders to win, Clinton still has a real edge and a strong enough lead in enough polls in enough primary states that Sanders will need to work incredibly hard to get the nomination.

5 Likes

Fixed that for you. Actual young voters wouldn’t understand why one email platform was more obsolete than another.

10 Likes

Look, I’m pretty agnostic in this race, but give me a fucking break.

She’s running for President. She’s gonna do some ad buys. Or rather, a hundred different subordinates three levels down from her are going to do some ad buys. Each and every single one of them is not an insight into her campaign, her tactical brilliance, or her very soul. You’re not dumb enough to think that, so don’t present it to your audience as though they are.

Not that I’m accusing BB of bias here. Just the other week you were telling us that Bernie Sanders was personally issuing existential threats to Wikipedia (or, um, perhaps on second thought this looks like a copyright policing mistake by a contract lawyer for one of his PR firms but let’s keep the “BERNIE CENSORS” headline as-is). Maybe stick to softer comedy, because it looks like you’re cutting yourself trying to find an edge here.

9 Likes

All publicity is good publicity. Look at Trump.

1 Like

You know where she needs to advertise next?

On public pay phones and telephone books. Maybe they should also double down on running ads during soap operas too. That will get the young people.

4 Likes

I was going to say you meant ensure, but in this case insure might work too.

Love,

The Ensure-Insure-Assure Police

4 Likes

Anderson Cooper: Why aren’t you appealing to younger voters?
Clinton: Hell if I know. I mean, I’m cool beans. I can be hipster. I do the texting like they do.

9 Likes

LOL, probably not structured correctly, but I had in mind “insurance” b/c that (imho) is their mindset and intention, even though it is not “formal” insurance.

2 Likes

I don’t know how accurate it is that young people don’t vote - didn’t that help put Obama over the top? But I agree it makes sense. Is she supposed to completely abandon her base in a frantic pursuit of voters who, in reality, she’s unlikely to sway from Sanders? Ideally shed do both, but if you’re constrained and need to focus your resources, smart people focus on bolstering things with a higher probability of paying off rather than long shots.

I’m all for poking fun at dumb things but I honestly don’t see how this is anything other than good fundamental campaigning 101.

Maybe an inserted print ad to go along with the CDs AOL mails out?

1 Like

Next up, Hillary ads will take over all Wheel of Fortune TV breaks.

2 Likes

Maybe we’re all just too old and out of touch and don’t know that the coolest place to be is AOL now. But ironically. Young people are inscrutable.

4 Likes

I do recall a story a year or so ago where people were starting to use AOL email again. I expect as a I’m-so-ironic-hipster-thing’ but the why doesn’t really matter, just that young people were using it again. I think it was around the last time they re-branded.

I don’t know how accurate it is that young people don’t vote

Well, I was exaggerating a little. According to this page, 40% of voters aged 18-29 voted last election compared to 70% of voters over 65.

Sanders did great in NH and that was to be expected. If he didn’t win by a wide margin there, I think his campaign would have been over.

1 Like

Nah, the floppies ended by 98, when they switched to CD’s. That went on into the early aughts.

Young people probably know AOL CD’s and floppies from their periodic appearance in thrift shops.

1 Like

Nah, the coolest place to hang out is the chat rooms on the reverse engineered QuantumLink server, accessible only through a Commodore64 emulator. (Or, a hand-made artisinal serial to serial bridge on your original C64 hardware)

6 Likes

OMG - that is hilarious. hahaha

You can’t make this shit up.

Seriously - how fucking out of touch are the people in Congress.

2 Likes

All snark aside, I’d guess that what happened is the campaign hired a SEO agency to create and run ads all over the internet. AOL splash page was cheap (and looks to be identical to the Yahoo! splash page I used to have to use for work) so they bought it.

I’d bet she even has ads on Bing. Not that anyone would see them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had to google this one.

17 Likes

So, who’s going to do a video mashup of this log in screen, Hanks/Ryan “You’ve Got Mail”, and #imnotkiddingmaddi?

2 Likes