Hawaii legalizes gay marriage

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Well fucking finally!

I was so elated 20 years ago when my adopted state was the first to recognize gay marriage as a right implied by its constitution, and so disappointed when the result was the scaremongers whipping the public into specifically changing the state constitution to take it away.

It’s been too long coming, but I am very happy to see this day at last. Give a lot of credit to all the campaigners and organizations that worked on this, including the Hawaii ACLU, and also to 20 years of slow steady consciousness-raising by the public.

P.S. Congrats, Kit G!

2 Likes

«The aloha state just said “I do” to marriage between same-sex partners».

Do you imply that Hawaii is now married to gay marriage? That’s meta.

I imagine Xeni starting to write «Hawaii just said “Aloha”…» and then suddenly getting it.

2 Likes

I remember that, and I remember being thrilled then crushed, and then feeling the same way about California. I’m now in the much happier position of being unable to decide whether it’s frustrating that we’ve taken this long to get this far or exciting that we’ve come so far so quickly.

Said US President Barack Obama, “I’ve always been proud to have been born in Hawaii, and today’s vote makes me even prouder.”

Cue the Birthers.

In all seriousness though, twenty years from now, there are going to be a lot of people who won’t be able to explain away their bigotry as a product of our time.

3 Likes

That’s actually a rather delightful thought.

1 Like

There are a lot of people who can’t explain their bigotry right now. I think that’s one of the major reasons for the speed with which equality is sweeping through states.

And the only major obstacle seems to be a lot of well-funded people who come up with increasingly convoluted ways of saying, “It’s wrong because I say it is”.

I agree totally, but I think that it’s also causing rube heads to explode all over the place - hence the tea party, etc… “we want our country back!”
Kudos to the great state of Hawaii (where my mom AND her mom grew up) one of my favorite places in the world.
Can’t wait to be in Kauai starting Sat. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.