HBO to air "bombshell" Scientology documentary

[Permalink]

I briefly worked for City Pages, a Village Voice Media alt-weekly, in 2003. I was told I could write about anything except Scientology because Scientologists were so lawyered up they would make life hell for any publication that dared write about them (and if you wrote truthfully, the article would have to be negative).

11 Likes

I dunno… All of them?

14 Likes

The only bombshell that they could drop is revealing that Scientology isn’t an exploitive, predatory cult run by paranoid malicious sociopaths and fronted by credulous, deluded movie stars.

35 Likes

Is the Church of Scientology a Christian denomination? I never thought so, but the large gold cross suggests that it is. Or is their cross, as the Firesign Theater put it, a “Symbol of the Quartering of the Universe into Active and Passive Principles”?

4 Likes

I disagree. The real bombshell would be to acknowledge that Battlefield Earth and After Earth were total disasters.

5 Likes

They claim that they can coincide with Christianity, or any other religion, but Christianity’s tenets pretty much are diametrically opposed to pretty much all of Scientology’s ideas. Multiple gods, Christ not divine, reincarnation, man can’t really sin (it was the thetans, you see), it all starts to clash once you get up higher in the org.

6 Likes

They’re probably just using a cross as an associative symbol to imply that they’re a serious religion. Culturally, we commonly associate crosses with Christianity, but crosses as religious symbols predate Christianity.

The fact that so many people use devices of cruel execution as the symbol of their “peaceful” religions is certainly quite disturbing when you think about it.

5 Likes

Any religion that can not take criticism is not much of a religion at all.

7 Likes

After Earth was horrible, but I don’t see how it’s a Scientology movie, Jesus-complex notwithstanding.

It’s pretty much a more subtle incorporation of LRH’s mythos.

But you don’t have to take my word on it:

3 Likes

Operation Clambake
As if you BBers haven’t spent a few incredulous hours here.

4 Likes

No. Hubbard borrowed Crowley’s cross in order to both draw in occultists and flirt with appearing less insulting to Christians.

Hubbard states that Jesus Christ along with every religious figure was a hologram movie imprinted in the minds of the original inhabitants of earth (which are now ghosts) which would preclude it having anything to do with Christianity as practiced.

1 Like

Why, those are ridiculous assertions!

According to Scientology “Hubbard broke up black magic in America … L. Ron Hubbard was still an officer of the U.S. Navy, because he was well known as a writer and a philosopher and had friends amongst the physicists, he was sent in to handle the situation. He went to live at the house and investigated the black magic rites and the general situation and found them very bad …
Hubbard’s mission was successful far beyond anyone’s expectations. The house was torn down. Hubbard rescued a girl they were using. The black magic group was dispersed and destroyed and has never recovered.”

So he destroyed black magic in America. Because he is all that is good. The girl, of course, he later married, committing bigamy due to his existing wife Polly. Super awkward when the existing Mrs. Hubbard found out the next year.

4 Likes

How dare you say that!

2 Likes

That whole thing with Jack Parsons is a hoot and a half in light of how the Church likes to depict LRH these days. And, man, I dunno how I missed it last month here, but I was sure excited to come across this link here today:

Now that’s appointment television! Clear my schedule, Standish!

5 Likes

160 lawyers for one documentary? Wouldn’t something like 10 or 20 suffice?

2 Likes

Considering that the Church of Scientology will probably file for injunctive relief in every state of the union and all territories, simultaneously, 160 is probably a good start.

8 Likes

You don’t directly engage an adversary that outnumbers you a hundred to one.

15 Likes

what i really want to know, is WHEN WILL HBO AIR THIS BOMBSHELL?

4 Likes