Head-up display projects phone information to windshield

Really? I see the attraction, but what if a kid ran out chasing a ball just as Scotty dramatically repairs the warp drive?

Err ā€¦ the point of HUD is to allow the pilot to keep their head still and still gather vital information for surviving in the air. Brightness is an issue - fighter aircraft obviously have very bright HUDs for daytime use.

Until HUDs in cars mean you donā€™t have to focus on one particular wee area of the windshield in front of you - provided, coincidentally, by the manufacturer with the express intention that you have as sweeping a view of the surroundings towards which you hurtle in tons of material - until then, theyā€™re a little ā€¦ unsafe. To be frank.

Sorry to be a spoilsport.

1 Like

We review applications in the order they were received. Because of this, the spoilsport position has already been filled. Thank you for your interest.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say this. The bonus is that most dashboard mounts are universal, so mine works with my crappy old satnav and my shiny newer Nexus. And four-finger KitKats (I like to keep an eye on mine).

1 Like

Party pooper still free?

1 Like

No voice option on your navigator?

I use the iMagnet mounted on my dashboard, and it works really well. Much easier than the vent-based mount I used to have. It puts the phone in my normal driving line-of-sight, so no looking down or taking my hands off the wheel.

The only problem Iā€™ve had is being accurate when trying to touch something on the screen due to vibrations, but thatā€™s probably a tire balance issue.

Well no. I am fortunate to have never had to commute in traffic. I have been able to choose circumstances that allow me to either walk or ride a bike to work. Only a dire predicament would have me considering work/life option that entailed a car commute. As I said, I have been lucky thus far.

Winnipeg is a pretty easy place to know, and if I need to find a location, Iā€™ll look it up on my phone with Google Maps, thenā€¦ hereā€™s the trickā€¦ use my BRAIN to remember where that place is, and drive to it. I know every 3rd street here, so Iā€™ll always be in the ballpark.

I get scared when I see active GPS units in cars, tells me the driver is distracted instead of concentrating on the task of driving.

sticky mat phone holder = $2.35

hud mode GPS software - $.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-everywhere-+-hud-mode/id495648970?mt=8
or $2
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/asmarthud-navi/id388888113?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

You can just send me $50 of the $143, I just saved you.

While it could be argued that being stuck in traffic that isnā€™t moving is the ā€œsafestā€ time (if there is such a thing) to use a mobile device while driving, Iā€™m also not sure what good it does one to consult a navigation app if youā€™re stuck in this same traffic. If your navigation app was worth anything, it would have routed you around the mess in the first place.

Also, I second the ProClip device mounts. Iā€™ve been using them for years, and the two-part system has allowed me to swap out the ā€œdeviceā€ part of the mount each time I upgrade, while keeping the same ā€œvehicleā€ part of the mount.

Navigation app, no. Netflix, yes.

ā€œWow, Crash is just coming alive on this thing!ā€

Cronenberg? Although I like the movie, I can easily see how that might happen, hahahā€¦

Thatā€™s quite possible, indeed. It speaks to the never-ending argument about what individuals should be allowed to do while considering risks to society at large. Limiting or outright banning of recreational driving would save thousands upon thousands of lives every year. But even in much more regulated societies in Europe, it seems that people look at the right to travel as sacrosanct. Fortunately, driving is safer than ever and hopefully will continue in that trend.

Iā€™ll concede that a little distraction while in standstill traffic might be justified, but my point was directed specifically at the original article:

I use my iPhone for navigation and I donā€™t like picking it up and looking at the display while I drive.

Either youā€™re driving and you shouldnā€™t be messing with your phone, or youā€™re stuck in traffic and your navigation app isnā€™t going to help you out of this mess, because it allowed you to get into this mess.

1 Like

This is something Iā€™d use too as I travel a LOT and it would be great for use in a rental car when i donā€™t know where I am. But $190 for it PLUS $33 for the app? When I can buy a decent GPS for less than half that? I donā€™t think so.

Iā€™ll join the chorus: If youā€™re so totally direction-impaired that you canā€™t navigate for 5 minutes w/o an arrow pointing the way (not to mention incapable of listening to directions) you probably shouldnā€™t be driving at all in the first place.

I used a 16MB micro-SD card I borrowed from my son to load an old Nook Color e-reader with cyanogenmod, bought a $5 application called torque and a $12 bluetooth interface to my carā€™s onboard diagnostic computer (all modern cars have an ODBII jack) and laid it on the dashboard in HUD mode, and Jackā€™s a doughnut, itā€™s like being in a spaceship! The nook doesnā€™t have a GPS unfortunately, but the car does, and I found a cyanogenmod app that lets me pretend Iā€™m traveling in 50mph circles somewhere in the Mountains of Madness so that GPS apps would stop complaining.

Hold it right there! I once had to make an emergency 400 mile journey in a foreign country (OK, France, which isnā€™t foreign anymore since they so eagerly volunteered to assault old Mr Assad), along roads laden with recorded recent incidents of banditry (yes, France), in a hire car. I was very happy indeed with the onboard GPS, very happy indeed.