Health Canada outs 40,000 medical marijuana users

Marihuana? They even misspelled the word. It looks like spam to me now.

It’s kind of a hard thing to prove don’t you think? My family suspects an employee of TicketMaster knew we were going to a show, thus they hit our house during a showtime despite the place being lit up. Can I prove it? No, but it would be a great advantage to someone with inside knowledge wouldn’t it? I do know that I had to redo registration paperwork because they were LOST at the CFC the first time - isn’t that chain of custody break a bit disconcerting? Just like these patients if robbed will likely never be able to definitively say that this address gaffe was why. What we should be asking is what practical purpose do these lists serve, and does a data leak pose a bigger threat than not warehousing it at all?

Last I checked it wasn’t written on my wife’s insurance bill envelope “here’s the bill for your wife’s depression and the anti-psychotic her doctor prescribed”. This is clearly a violation of medical privacy, period.

3 Likes

Come on now, this is all we’re talking about here. That’s it, that’s all. I can see how some folks would be displeased, but I think this is being blown out of proportion.

2 Likes

This post I understand- and partially agree with. I think a case can be made for keeping a registry of firearms in the community. Not a perfect case, but there are valid arguments on that side of the fence. I also think the integrity of that list is important.

I don’t think there is really a rational case for any registry or even tracking of marijuana users or growers. In a logical world rooted in common sense, nobody would give a damn about the stuff. The bureaucratic minor screwup in the OP is just an example of what can go wrong in an atmosphere of partial, admin heavy legalization - in which you get some of the worst parts of all options, and few of the best parts.

Persons still care, and persons still rob houses/apartments. Even in glorious Canada.

Besides, what’s so wrong with being horrified by privacy violations?

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with these folks feeling bad about this, in fact I expressed my sympathy. Fuck, with MS she has enough to worry about. However, anyone who would notice this is already reading the effected persons mail. At least the outside of it.

So lets keep this in perspective is all I’m saying. A postal worker had no fucking business commenting on her correspondence, I’m all for torches and pitchforks for that person. Also up for pilloring mail thieves. As for whatever drudge in the Health Canada offices that put the MMJ office on the return address? Not so much.

Let’s get HC to put some resources toward the reasons why these folks feel afraid to receive mail from the MMAP, lets go after the real issue, yes?

Actually, it isn’t as bad as one would believe. The point of the letters was to inform of the changes to the medical marijuana program. Medical marijuana users won’t be able to grow their own supply anymore. The change is to make things safer all around. Only commercially licensed growers will be able to supply weed to users.

In BC, some large rural grow-ops have been targeted by organized crime groups as the plants are just about ready to mature. If the owner is around when the theft occurs the person could be in serious trouble. Also, grow-ops are generally prone to mold and many MM users live in tenancies that have to be cleaned and repaired at great expense to the owner.

Most of the MM users that got the letters shouldn’t worry too much, they probably don’t have enough weed to actually make theft worth it.

Looks correctly spelled to me.

Not sure if you are Canadian or not, but we have a licensing system, effectively an owners registry. It is an order of magnitude easier to track the people than the objects and each transaction they are subsequently involved in. It also should fulfill the public safety aspect of making police aware of who is potentially (legally) armed, even though they should also consider criminals likely won’t be on that list. Handguns are registered, and continue to be. Long guns in crime use are a statistical anomaly.

Anyhow, we’re digressing. As a gun owner, things like this hit closer to home because I worry about being targeted due to an information leak similar to this. Consider that CGI built the registry - the same company that is now bogged down in the US health insurance website issues.

Fascinating that Health Canada uses the “Marihuana” spelling,
instead of the more common “marijauna”

1 Like

Really? My postman reluctantly looks at the ‘to’ address, I can’t imagine he spends much time analysing the ‘from’ address.

1 Like

If it said ‘HIV medical access program’, or ‘ADHD medical access program’ would you then understand the privacy implications? I’m also cool with weed, but if I saw that in my neighbours postbox (which I have access to) I would feel as though I’d had inappropriate insight into their medical treatment.

And is posting it to the internet really blowing anything out of proportion? It’s a privacy violation, in an industry where privacy is pretty important; that’s all that’s being pointed out.

2 Likes

That’s how the Government of Canada spells it - http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/index-eng.php. I once asked a Federal Crown who handles drug prosecutions why and didn’t get a very satisfactory answer: she said everyone in the media was wrong. But we in the media disagree. Neither spelling is particularly wrong. http://medicalmarijuana.ca/news/0/172

Huh, I just Googled it and Wikipedia does in fact point out that it’s from the ‘Mexican Spanish’ word ‘marihuana’ @Garrden

TIL.

Sure, at least until some clowns in ski masks kick in your door and stomp you unconscious before making off with your medicine; there’s a reason medical marijuana users tell people about the plants they’re growing around here.

This is just another example of the quality leadership our current quasi-fascist government is providing. I very much doubt this was an accident.

Then again, nobody was ever shot with stolen weed.

And so those clowns in ski masks are… reading peoples mail? Post office employees?

The shared mailbox issue is easily solved - get your own, locked box. As for postal employees seeing who is sending you mail, I just don;t see it as that big of a deal. The post office sorts bazillions of letters and packages, I find it unlikely there are thugs in the post office screening all the mail so that they can go get their ski masks and rob some weed grower after work.

Yes, if I was one of the patients, I imagine I could get a locking mail box, litter my condo with claymores, or hire an armed guard. That’s not the point; the point is, these people shouldn’t have to be worrying about countermeasures to our governments petty stupidity.

I say petty, because my guess is this act was intentional. They’re in the process of disallowing patients to grow their own supply, instead they’re forcing them to go to one of a few government sanctioned (read: someone with conservative connections & a history of donations) commercial grower at about 8 to 10 times the price per ounce. Just what every sick person on a fixed income needs, a couple extra thousand a month in costs for a product of dubious quality.

Leave it to Harper’s conservatives to try and monetize suffering.

Yeah, I’m certainly not happy with the changes either, with you on that at least.