Hello Kitty is apparently not a cat

[Permalink]

2 Likes

In the sense that Goofy is ‘not a dog’ while Pluto is.

15 Likes

Or it could be lazy reporting with a sensationalist click bait attitude by the L.A. Times - a different perspective from Kotaku:

“When Kotaku called Sanrio’s Tokyo headquarters today and asked whether or not Hello Kitty was indeed a cat, a spokesperson explained, “Hello Kitty was done in the motif of a cat. It’s going too far to say that Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is a personification of a cat.””

7 Likes

So, wait; are you trying to say that Hello Kitty is some sort of… transhumanafeline?

Ceci n’est pas une chatte

16 Likes

Hello Kitty is a posthuman, who warped herself into her current mouthless, kawai-feline form after she could no longer endure her lonely existence as a baseline-human otaku.

Cloaked in her nearly featureless, childish, benign form, unable to offend or to be offended, she could at last venture out into the world, beloved by all.

9 Likes

Does Charmmy her cat have a cat, and does that cat think that Charmmy is a cat?

1 Like

Come to think of it, it’s kind of hard to imagine Hello Kitty hunting and eating a chipmunk, or coughing up a hairball.

2 Likes

It really doesn’t matter what we think she is. It only matters what she thinks she is. Has anyone even bothered to ask her? Well?!

7 Likes

but is she a kitty?

1 Like

“Culture clash. Culture clash. Please. Accept the mystery.”

♫ Hello Kitty ♫
♫ She’s the kitty ♫
♫ What’s got no mouth ♫

Not if you imagine a really, really cute hairball.

2 Likes

Many years ago I was greatly amused by a collection of Hello Kitty alphabet images in the Subgenius art mines. Glad to see they are still there…

2 Likes

I assume that she is related to Miss Kitty:

The resemblance is uncanny. Which means that her full name should be “Hello Kitty Russell”

1 Like

Look everyone, she’s just British, that’s all.

Awww, she almost horked one up on my cell phone…

8 Likes

I’m going with Sanrio’s explanation, she is their IP, after all. Also, the Wikis are rather specific in naming her breed as Japanese Bobtail.

She’s a rabbit, sufficiently modified to not lose court cases brought by the creators of Miffy.

The article I read on the CBC has both of the following quotes:

Hello Kitty is not a cat. She’s a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She’s never depicted on all fours.

and

It’s going too far to say that Hello Kitty is not a cat.

The proper headline would be, “Creator of Hello Kitty believes that people think Hello Kitty is a literal cat - an actual living mammal in the real world - and feels the need to correct this.”

Got another one: “Creator of Hello Kitty assumed anyone interested in whether Hello Kitty was a cat must be two years old. Wanted to be clear about distinction between reality and fiction.”

But more likely: “People baffled by language and cultural mix-up”

3 Likes